Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I did a search and everything came up with the clutch master cynlinder, not brake.

I have a 2000 Focus SE Sedan with about 188,000 miles on it, I've had it a LONG time and drive 40+ miles each way to work.

Its an automatic with recently new brakes (had all 4 done in the last year) and there is no brake fluid leak (stays topped off).

However, I am beginning to have to depress the brake nearly to the floor to engage the brakes.

I've been told that this is probably the brake master cylinder. I've looked it up and the part is only about $50, but was wondering how hard it was to replace this and if anyone has a good step by step set of instructions to do it.

I am fairly mechanical, just not on cars if that makes sense. I am an engineer but just never worked on my car much.

So my questions are...

1. Does that sounds like the master cylinder?
2. Is it easy to replace or should I take it to my mechanic?

I'm at 188k miles, going to try to make it to 200k before I buy a new Focus.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
well, im pretty sure that they are almost the same, and yes is a 50 bucks for the part... but is a really pain in the ass to do it, you have to work right were you pedal are( the case of the svt) , i remember that my sister got that replaced on her old focus, and the guy charge her like $100 for the labor , but when she came back to get her car, the guy told her that the charge was wrong, but since it wasnt her fault she got it done for fairly $100 plus the $50(she got the part from ford)... so you might want to think twice... and let me see if i can scan the pages from the hiltons repair manual for you...

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it's the master cylinder and the pedal is low, it should be possible to pump the pedal and gain a higher pedal position after a repump or two. I wouldn't say it's not the master cylinder, but it's more common to have a pedal that slowly creeps down under pressure if it's the master cylinder seals. If this started with the new brakes being installed, I would look at other things too. Do you have drum brakes in the back? They have to be manually adjusted when installed, unlike disc brakes that are self adjusting. The other symptom of loose rear drums is that the hand brake lever will come up real high when you apply it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts