Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find anyone with an answer. Master Cylinder failed on my 2006 Ford Focus. I bought a new one from my local Napa and typically I always bench bleed my master cylinders. I keep reading everywhere how important it is to get all of the air out on these focus'. It does not have ABS brakes and inside the Box from Napa was a note that says "do not bench bleed due to original equipment design, this master cylinder must be bled on the vehicle only. DO NOT BENCH BLEED! The master cylinder will be damaged and leak if bench bled. Note: the master cylinder must be level when bleeding on vehicle." Do I bench bleed this master cylinder or not? And if not how when on the car properly?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the new cylinder on, bled and bled and bled until there was no air. Pedal was hard inside, as soon as I started it however the pedal does the same thing prior to the new master cylinder. In the last two days I've done front brake pads and rotors, rear shoes, and the master cylinder. Before all of that the car would stop but you'd have to push it most of the way to the floor before you got anything. After all of that it's doing the same thing. Now what?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,189 Posts
Bleed farthest from the master cylinder to closest. RR. LR.RF. LF.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,189 Posts
Additionally. If you did not adjust the rear shoes properly or replace the rear hardware kit, a lot of pedal stroke will be used pushing the shoes out to the drum.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
The rears on these you assemble the unit with brake shoes as loose as possible to get drum on. You do NOT preadjust them, they do it if assembled correctly by the time the brake pedal is hit 2-3 times, they spring up to adjust fully often with the first push. You MUST however make sure the small brake quadrant part has the teeth well cleaned out of brake dust, they clog easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake shoes were adjusted manually but only after I tried cleaning the self adjusters and letting them do their jobs. When they weren't tight i trial and error'd until they were pretty tight. The prior problem is that when the car is shut off the brakes will pump up solid. However as soon as the car is running, the pedal sinks to the floor. Only having any braking power in the last inch or two of pedal travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be the brake booster failing? I am at my wits end with this car. It has tested every last bit of patience I have in my entire body over the last two years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additionally. If you did not adjust the rear shoes properly or replace the rear hardware kit, a lot of pedal stroke will be used pushing the shoes out to the drum.
Adjusted the shoes as tight as I could, and did replace all of the rear springs as well as the shoes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts