Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have my tail-lights on my brake lights stay frozen on. As you can imagine, this is pretty dangerous. The odd thing is that everything is normal in the daytime when my tail-lights are off and this has left me a bit confused.

I changed a brake bulb about 4 or 5 months ago and it has been ok (even though it was a cheap, tacky thing). Could it be the wiring? Or is it the ECU? I've read also about switches on the brake pedal could be the problem? I'd hate to take the car to a garage and be charged a fortune for a job I could do easily myself.

In the meantime I'm staying out of the car at night as I don't want somebody ramming into the back of me or be pulled over by the coppers.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I had that about 2 weeks ago while in reverse only. The reverse lights wouldn't work but the brake lights went on by themselves. I did have a water leak in the rear light (hatchback). I think when I had the light apart I must have somehow messed the wiring up. The brake switch seems to be an easy fix although I didn't have to do mine. From the research I did it should be a DIY job. My rear lights are also aftermarket, that's why I mentioned the wiring. It's not a stock connection.

By the way, you only need to post the problem in one area. I see you posted in Exterior and Lighting also.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
[welcome] to FF.com!!!!!!!

duplicate thread suck[thumbd]
i merged the 2 since you got replies in both.

it does kinda sound like the switch. cheap replacement! call Mike at Hilbish Ford at 18008490233. he will get you what you need.

good luck[thumb]

oh snap, i just realized your on the other side of the creek. if you can dial a US number, im sure your local stealership will help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome folks.

I was told by the dealers that it was probably a "rogue bulb" so I changed them all but the problem is still occuring.

I now tend to believe what you all say about the brake pedal switch so I have booked the car into the dealers early on Thursday morning. I knw it couldbe a DIY job but I know chuff all about cars I'm afraid and little jobs like this usually cost me a fortune.

I'll let you know what the diagnosis and cure is (was).

Nice to be here, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the Ford Dealers. The problem was a bent bulb holder would you believe? Anyway, I was lucky because the holder could be repaired instead of them having to fit a new unit which would have been expensive. In the end it only cost £40 so I was well chuffed!

Oh yes, the problem I had was also causing my sidelights to come on when I braked and it consequently blew one of the bulbs. I managed to replace that myself - see I'm not a total dork where repairs go! LOL.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i had a diff problem where i had brake lights but no running lights in rear, no dash lights, no license plate lights or parking lights. It was a short in the turn signal switch. 45 bucks from MassiveSpeed and 10 minutes to fix. Took 4 months to figure out. Maybe you can find an honest shop to diagnose it and you do the repairs. Might cost you $100. Better than getting rammed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake lights on, found broken wires in the hatch wires.

I had the same brake lights on or not working. and found a post where the guy found broken wires in the harness at the rear hatch hinge. I checked and found 2 broken wires and the insulation cracked on the other. Resoldered the 2 wires and taped the others, the rubber cover does not fit as it is a tight fit but all lights are working. 2002 focus se wagon.
thanks to all for the postings, saved me a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I know it's too late now.....but. If you had a bad brake lite switch, the brake lights would have been staying on all the time, not just when the tail lights were on.

That tail light thing was the give-away......you had a bulb problem or a wiring problem, which the dealer figured out. What causes this is the dual-filament bulb.....a tail light and a brake light sharing a common ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts