Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake light (on the dash) came on the other day in my 03 sedan. I haven't operated the emergency brake lately so I don't think that is what caused it to come on. I did however operate the emergency brake several times setting and releasing it to try and get the light out. Fluid in the reservoir is fine (not sure if this will cause it to come on or not). It will come on and go off as I am driving sometimes I noticed.

What else will tell the brake light to come on? If I check it with a code reader will it tell me what is causing it to come on?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, It does sound like your brake fluid is low when you said the light came sometimes when you were driving. Take the cap off and see if the float is free moving also have someone look to see if the light gos out when you hold the float in the up position. If you need to top off,don't over fill leave room for the float and don't get any brake fluid on your paint because it will screw it up right now!!!!!!

Rick
PS: no the/a code reader will not tell you anything about the brake system unless you have ABS

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fluid level is normal. I turned the float upside down and pushed it down gently until it stopped. Did this a couple of times. Light stayed on in the dash.

I'll try it with another person just to be sure.

So it looks like the sensor is a simple fix if thats the case.

I do have ABS, however when I posted I wanted to make sure everyone knew it was not the ABS dash light that was coming on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The switch in reservoir cap could be bad. this can be checked by pulling the connector off, I believe it is a normally off switch, the same with the handbrake switch. By pulling off the connector you are creating an open circuit making the light go out.

Rick

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I have a similar prob. - more tests, but no answers. - my brake warning light comes on by itself intermittently - when this happens it doesn't work normally by operating either the handbrake switch OR the brake fluid switch.
bypassing the handbrake switch and grounding it directly doesn't solve the prob.
light works normally with the fluid reservoir switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts