Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my car to the shop to get two back tires which were completely bald replaced . After inspection the realized my
E brake cable had been stuck on in turn seizing my I tire back brake assembly. They had to cut the e brake cable just to get everything disengaged . They changed the bake breaks (new shoes , drums ) (bearings are factory pressed into the drums). As soon as I drove away after they finished up the brake light came on and stays on . I'm at the shop right now as the try to figure out why this is happening . I hate to be a pain but I didn't just pay for my brakes to be changed to have the brake light come on . Something isn't sitting right with me . Could it be coming on because they had to cut the e brake cable to get the old drums un seized . The e brake cable was not replaced as this had already been an expensive day . Can anyone please pass on there knowledge is greatly appreciate it .

Also brake fluid is full and it's not the reservoir sensor throwing the light on brake light comes on and off if I put the e brake on before moving . Brake light comes on and stays on as soon as I start to drive .

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The brake-on caution light is controlled via a switch on/next to the e-brake handle. < i think... i need to look it up >

If the caution light you are getting is ABS, that is a different story. If ABS, they could have forgotten to replace or install the ABS tone ring on the new drums.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I do not know much about it, but I just looked it up in a wire diagram, the brake caution light is illuminated by either the e-brake handle switch or the reservoir low level switch. Neither of those 2 items should have been messed with during the work done today... but the e-brake handle needs to be DOWN to keep the light off... sorry if that is overly obvious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abs light was on before going into the shop today has been on since I bought the car . It's the red brake light that comes on when you pull your e brake or fluid is low . Light comes on only when I start driving . They assure me it's because they cut the e brake and didn't reconnect the cable

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For a cause related to the work done, checking that the handle STAYS down without the cable pulling on it to keep it there as Marde implied is the first check for this.

Flopping up a bit would turn the light on with the system working properly.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
... They assure me it's because they cut the e brake and didn't reconnect the cable
And if so... I guess the cable is loose and must be tight in order to hold the e-brake handle switch in the proper switch state. OK.

You could always expose the base of the handle, find the switch, and spoof the switch, in order to get the caution light turned off. Until the cable is fixed, I would MAcGyver that thing for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts