Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the front and rear brake pads on my 2006 Focus ST and now the brakes are really soft and the pedal is sticking slightly on return. I noticed that the brake fluid reservoir overflowed out of the cap I'm guessing from when I was compressing the caliper pistons back in to make room for the new pads. Is it possible I somehow got air in the lines from the reservoir overflowing?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Other than flushing the mess from the brake fluid after checking/getting the level right (eats paint) you may have some checking/adjusting to do.

Caliper slider pins checked & good (lubed) when doing the brakes?

Next check is to look at the calipers when brake is pressed (takes two people) to see which is moving when pedal is pressed.

Fronts shouldn't move appreciably - if they do, you'll need to recheck assembly there (including those pins) and see why they're "cocked" and flexing too much.

Rears could be moving more than normal for similar reasons, PLUS they may not be adjusted up yet (auto adjuster for E-brake). IF the pedal works fine (or better) with the E-brake handle up, you've found the issue & hopefully repeated application of the E-brake is all you need to get them adjusted up again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE - I was going over the brakes again to double check my work and found that the front passenger and rear driver side brakes seem to be working great but the front driver and rear passenger brakes don't seem to be working at all. I had someone press the brake pedal while I was spinning the wheel and the brakes didn't seem to be activating at all the wheel just keeps spinning with no resistance. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Uh-oh. Is there brake fluid leaking onto the ground? Is half the reservoir full and the other half empty? You might have a line rusted through.

Toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Didn't have a piston pop out while you were pressing another in did you?

Might need to do some bleeding if air got in that way.

(another guess than the popped line already mentioned)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lines and calipers look good I'm removing the master cylinder to make sure it wasn't damaged somehow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the master cylinder and when I place my thumb over one of the ports on the master cylinder and pump the piston I feel good suction but when I tried it with the second port there wasn't any suction at all. Possibly a bad master cylinder?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you didn't open a bleeder or at least take the cap off of master cylinder when you push piston back in the caliper you may have blown a seal in the master cylinder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts