Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myy wife called me from the side of the road stating the "low brake fluid, service now" warning was on. And the pedal was going to the floor. I brought some brake fluid along to top off and limped it the short distance home, slowly. With my hand on the e-brake.

The left front brake hose is leaking badly, as far as I can tell it may be at the point where the hose passes through the metal sleeve mounting it to the strut. The struts have been replaced twice in the front, so it has been bolted/unbolted. Sure looks like it is stretched tight from the factory.

Given the 107K mileage, at about 25% pad life and 54K since the last brake job, it's getting new pads, rotors, caliper mounts and brake hoses all around.

Is it common for the brake hoses to fail? It sure looks like a questionable design with the hose stretched tight between the caliper fitting and strut mount.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Without knowing what year/model your car is its hard to say whether the hose failure is 'common'. But in general brake hoses can last 15+ years. And it should not be 'stretched tight' anywhere.

Paul

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without knowing what year/model your car is its hard to say whether the hose failure is 'common'. But in general brake hoses can last 15+ years. And it should not be 'stretched tight' anywhere.

Paul
The car model is in my sig, and "stretched tight" is clearly factory-designed. Although that doesn't mean it is right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
8 years old and over 100k if you live in the city with hard stop and go it wouldnt surprise me to have a rubber brake line failure. Not saying i expect to either.
Even a mechanic can half ass a brake job by not suspending the caliper when pullin a rotor to replace it.
That could stretch tight the hose in its holder.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even a mechanic can half ass a brake job by not suspending the caliper when pullin a rotor to replace it. That could stretch tight the hose in its holder.
It's funny you should mention the rough mechanics. I had the suspension rebuilt in this car at 70K, and have replaced the front struts twice, and the front control arms twice (bad bushings). So the suspension's been worked on a few times, as any car this age that you expect to drive well would require.

The shop I used was reasonably-priced, but I've had a couple incidents where they didn't quite get things exactly right the first time. I'm not sure I'll use them again.

Parts will be here in time for the weekend brake job. Are there any brake bleeding gotchas with this car involving cycling the ABS using a scan tool if air is introduced by opening the lines?

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's funny you should mention the rough mechanics. I had the suspension rebuilt in this car at 70K, and have replaced the front struts twice, and the front control arms twice (bad bushings). So the suspension's been worked on a few times, as any car this age that you expect to drive well would require.

The shop I used was reasonably-priced, but I've had a couple incidents where they didn't quite get things exactly right the first time. I'm not sure I'll use them again.

Parts will be here in time for the weekend brake job. Are there any brake bleeding gotchas with this car involving cycling the ABS using a scan tool if air is introduced by opening the lines?
I never had to do that on any car ive replaced hoses on with abs, since they are after the abs manifold, but i havent had to replace them on something this new either.
I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@Ductape91 , you were right. The affordably-priced independent mechanic who I have had do all my suspension work over the past decade has made one mistake too many. They incorrectly routed the brake hose around the outside edge of the tab on the strut, causing it to be pulled tight against a sharp metal edge. After 35K miles (they replaced the struts at 70K miles) it cut through the line.

I thought it was completely unreasonable for an 8-year-old car to have a brake line failure. I can't use this mechanic anymore, they have made other mistakes on my cars over the years. The Focus needed brake pads anyway, so it got pads, rotors, caliper hardware kit and 4 new brake lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts