Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving down the highway and I lightly apply the brakes (say to slow down for an off ramp, etc) I get a shaking of the steering wheel. Now if I ever have to get on the brakes hard I don't get any shake and the car does not pull to one side or another. I only get this shaking/vibration if I get on the brakes lightly.

Ideas? I have some guesses but I want to hear yours first.

Oh BTW, 03 SVTF, 43k mi original brakes/rotors.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I would say warped rotors....you can take them to a shop and they can "shave" them down. So they are straight again.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
warped for sure, get new rotors "turing" or "shaving" your rotors is only a band-aid the same problem will arise again, go new

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ yup.. do not just shave you rotors if they are warped.. rotors are fairly inexpensive anyways.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, I was thinking warped rotors too, just wanted to get a confirmation....too bad that SVT rotors are retardedly high.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Highly unlikely that they are warped. Real wrapping rarely occurs (read brake articles at top of this section). What you are experiencing is more likely poor/uneven bedding of the pad/shoe friction material into the rotor (caused by the uneven surface density of the rotor which is getting more common with cheaply made rotors) or a little bit of allowable run-out of the rotor. If its only felt under slight pedal pressure I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts