Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good brake bleeding kit? Not sure what these go for, but maybe in the $30-40 range.

I live in Canada, but plan on checking out US retailers for price as well as selection is probably better

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its a little more pricey than your range but Focussport sells an awesome pressure bleeder. Well worth the money. Very easy to use.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i have the focusSport kit and it works great!!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you have a friend a three dollar bleeding cup (from Walmart or local auto parts stores) with tubes is all that is needed. Cheaper still is a clear bottle (Miller or corona beer bottles work great) with about 18" of clear plastic tubing that fits tightly on the bleeders. When I have to do it by myself I use a Mightyvac which cost about 29.95 but I really prefer to do it the old fashion way whenever possible.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK! Thanks for the replies and honest opinions guys

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
The focus sport bleeder is good for filling up the system if you are changing out all the fluid, but you still will need to bleed manually to get all the bubbles out, otherwise you will have a lot of bubbles in your lines from using that type of bleeder. Works good for its purpose, but just don't forget to manually bleed the bubbles out when you are done.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I have bleed opened systems with the focussport bleeder before with no problems. Pushes the bubbles right out. Both brakes and slave cylinders.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Yeah, it pushes bubbles out, but also pushes bubbles right back into the system.
I've used it before as well. The guys from HTPerformance have used it as well,
and they agree with me. You need to manually bleed the brakes after using it.
They said it was so bad, it took them multiple times of manually bleeding the brakes
to get all the bubbles out.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I don't see how it can push bubbles back into the system if the fluid resevoir is full before you start using the pressure bleeder. It won't push the air on top of the fluid down through it in the form of bubbles. It merely pressurizes the air sitting on top of the fluid which in turn pushes the fluid through the open line and out carrying any bubbles with it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me get this straight. The FS bleeder is a push type, forcing fluid through the system and the others are pull-type? (Those are my terms and a big fat assumption as I just don't know :) )

Also maybe a manual system rather than a powered kit is better for a beginner doing this? I'm thinking something hand powered to gradually pull out fluid? That way you get the chance to top up the reservoir as you go without having to shut off the bleeder, run to the res, top up, check, continue/repeat

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yes. The Focussport is a "pusher" and the mityvac is a "puller." lol. With the focussport you fill it with the brake fluid and screw the other end onto the resevoir. Then you pressurize the main part which will create a positive pressure in the resevoir. I usually do around 10 PSI. Then all you have to do is go around to each wheel, open the bleeder valve and wait for it to start coming out clean, close it and move onto the next wheel. Easy as pie.

The Mitivac, commonly called a vacuum bleeder works by creating a vacuum inside a catch can attached to the hand pump. YOu attach the bleeder hose to the bleeder valve and pump up the hand pump creating the vacuum in the catch can. When you open the bleeder valve this vacuum, trying to reach equal pressures with the outside will pull fluid through the system. Just make sure the resevoir cap is off and you have someone filling it occasionally. Both are very easy methods. I just like the pressure bleeder myself.

If you do get a vacuum pump, get the more expensive one. It will be made of metal instead of plastic and is much stronger. I had a plastic one once that was garbage and broke after a couple uses. The metal one is much better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jetrinka, thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to do some searching now ...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
lol my shop teacher used a brake bleeder can and some rubber tubing and a hooked metal end, and attached an air hose to it. it is used for completely sucking all the oil out of the oil pan. especially useful with Nissans, with their drain valve mounted on the side of the pan.

but it would work as a brake bleeder too, if it didn't have so much oil in it, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts