Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since Ford likes changing things, I thought I'd give everyone the Ultimate guide for Front Suspension Interchangabilities........

Spindles:
00-04 Non SVT......all non SVT cars had the same spindles
02-04 SVT.......All SVT cars had the same spindles
05......all 05 cars had the same spindles
06......all 06 cars had the same spindles

Control Arms:
00-04 ALL......Svt or Non, they were all the same
05-06........All 05-06 were the same

Struts:
00-05.....All will interchage, although different rates were on different models, they all will interchange
06.......06 Ford thought they would mess everything up and redegigning the struts and springs

Springs:
00-05.......Like the struts, all will interchange between 00-05
06........all by themselves

So, with information above, this is how things boil down....

1. Svt Spindles are direct replacement for any 00-04
2. To Do an SVT Brake Swap on an 05, you must Use The 00-04 Lower Control Arm(Ball Joints Are smaller)
3. To Do an 05 Brake Swap on an 00-04, you must switch the 05 Lower Control Arm(Ball joints are Larger)
4. To Change to 05 and earlier struts and springs on an 06, you must change shocks, springs, and Spindles(the 06 has a larger opening for the strut to fit in)
5. To do an SVT swap on an 06, you must change spindles, struts, springs, and lower control arms

Reactions: Chick

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Great write-up[thumb] This can be a excellent sticky!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed, very nice. Why oh why can't Ford leave things alone. That is some great info!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you'll need the suspension kit and 05 spindles........

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes......complete bolt on

·
Registered
58 Posts
What's so different with the SVT suspension vs Other Models and how does that relate to the 2001 Wagon?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was able to put SVT rotors and calipers on my 2005 ST without changing the lower control arm. I did this last night on my car. I'll post pics as soon as I get them up and hosted [thumb]

I think I'd even be able to get by with just the rear bracket that bolts to the spindle, as the calipers are very close to identical.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Yeah, I was going to say...didn't Ford use SVT spindles on all of the '05+ models because they increased the front rotor size by 15% or something?

·
Registered
651 Posts
The spindles have different part #'s, but I know for sure the SVT rotors & calipers bolt right up no problem [thumb]

Here's a pic of the calipers next to each other. You can see the bolt holes are further out on the SVT caliper's mounting bracket, giving clearance for the bigger rotor.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here's the size difference between the ST/2005-up rotors and the SVT's.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
So the SVT rotors are even bigger than the ST rotor size???

So if I went out and bought the whole SVT rotors and calipers and pads what kind of modding to them do I have to do to make them fit???

·
Registered
651 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
So the SVT rotors are even bigger than the ST rotor size???

So if I went out and bought the whole SVT rotors and calipers and pads what kind of modding to them do I have to do to make them fit???
Yes, the St and all other Focus 2005-up front rotors are 10.9 inches and the SVT's are 11.8 inches.

No modifications needed, they bolted right on to my 2005 ST spindles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Someone should make a note that the SVT rear sway bar endlinks are different than the standard endlinks. I've had two Ford dealers tell me this and I purchased the SVT endlinks. I'll take pictures to compare. I had doubts so I ordered to check myself.

-Todd

·
Registered
393 Posts
What about the 07 Focus, are they the same as the 05 and 06 or???

Tim

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
CDSilver5DoorSVT said:
4. To Change to 05 and earlier struts and springs on an 06, you must change shocks, springs, and Spindles(the 06 has a larger opening for the strut to fit in)
Do the LCA's need to be swapped for this also? Or is it just the spindles? I have the struts and springs already.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
RS-wagon said:
What about the 07 Focus, are they the same as the 05 and 06 or???

Tim
As far as I know, the '07's are the same as the later production run '06's, but not the same as the early production run '06's, which, from what I have heard, are the same as the '05's. Hope this helps and if I have any misinformation in there, that it gets corrected.

Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
So on my 06 ZX3, all I need to do is buy rotors, pads, calipers for the front and they are a direct fit no blood or tears will be spilt over doing this.

If this is so then, Phewwwww. Now on to the real question. What will it take to convert the rear drums to the larger rotors (SVT)? Sorry if this has been covered in a "how to" Im still new to the entire Ford deal and trying to learn from the ground up the hard way.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts