Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we purchased a running ZX4 ST 5MT today for 650. It has several codes we need to work through, and tomorrow morning we are hitting the local u-pull it yard for some parts.

So my question is regarding the Intake manifold "system" on the 2.3. I've been reading until I'm blue in the face, and haven't found a clear answer yet.

I understand that the 2.3 has both "variable runner valves" and "tumble valves". Everybody says delete the tumble valves, and I think I am going to, because they are rattling and I'm getting a code. But what do I do with the variable runner valves (IMTV for the 2.3, correct?). Variable runners are a good thing typically, but do these have the same cheap plastic? Will they fall apart?

Also since I'm hitting the yard tomorrow I'd like to look for an intake that we could modify first, then switch them out so that we don't have the car torn down very long. Do I specifically need a 2.3 IM? Or would a single runner length IM from a 2.0 work as well? Are the 2.0's single length runners? I can't figure that out exactly.

Thanks for reading. The car is actually for my son so he can deliver pizza! lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I'm at it, would there be another intake from another car/different year worth snagging?

While this will be a pizza delivery appliance, he will also likely autocross it and just general hoonage. He's (road) raced karts since he was 5 and we are generally interested in fun, fast cars that handle exceptionally well. So if there's a "go-to" intake manifold for the 2.3 let me hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, but what does that do for me? Is that a better flowing IM? Does it have valves or not have valves? Would it require a tune?

i am brand new to this motor and have been reading a lot, but you’ll have to excuse this noob a little. I don’t know what I should do with that manifold.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,387 Posts
I'm no expert on the 2.3l. Tumble flaps are the only problem I've heard of. Stock intake is good. This is a oem replacement manifold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I see.

I opened it on my phone and it didn't show our car in the "fits" list.

I was hoping there might be a more reliable or higher flowing stock IM I could snag from a different car. But if not I'm inclined to just reuse the one we have and delete the tumble flaps. LikeI said, I'm not trying to get rid of the dual runner nature of the intake. That's typically a great feature. I am just hoping to hear that the dual runner flaps are solid, and all I need to do is ditch the tumble flaps for the 2.3.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,387 Posts
Oh I see.

I opened it on my phone and it didn't show our car in the "fits" list.

I was hoping there might be a more reliable or higher flowing stock IM I could snag from a different car. But if not I'm inclined to just reuse the one we have and delete the tumble flaps. LikeI said, I'm not trying to get rid of the dual runner nature of the intake. That's typically a great feature. I am just hoping to hear that the dual runner flaps are solid, and all I need to do is ditch the tumble flaps for the 2.3.
Ditch the tumble flaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts