·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
... that moment when your mechanic tells you "its a mess"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does the car turn on? Is the battery charged? Have you tried jumpstarting the car? I think you are looking in the most expensive places for issues to occur that you may be overlooking the simple stuff. I honestly think it may be a dead battery and bad alt. If there were fuses set up from the speaker system why would it fry the ECU if the fuse itself is the failsafe? I think you should look into Jumpstarting the car and fully eliminating the possibility of bad alt. Get it started and let it bog down promise it's probably the ALT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The car is at the mechanic, they stabbed at it for an hour or two and confirmed my tests.

they think the previous owner snipped a cable Somewhere so theyre gonna take the dash and check out all the wiring.

Once i get an answer, ill be sure to update the name of this thread for future users, so they can learn from my turmol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tomorrow will make 3 weeks that its been there, its a reputable place but its small and theyre busy. Last i spoke they had the dash apart and checking all the wiring “were making progress”.

im gonna call them tomorrow and see what the hell is going on, ive been very patient but its been nearly a month!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I fixed my car!!!!

Ended up being a bad PCM, something inside it, maybe a return transistor or so was burnt from whatever power surge went through the car and popped all those fuses i mentioned earlier.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the car only has 118k rather than 131k as the owner thought.

Fix list: (advice appreciated)
New sunroof, old one is jammed, bought a replacement assembly for 200$
AIR CONDITIONING DOESNT WORK, nothing happens when you push the AC button, no compressor
front end rattle, maybe a strut tower bearing?
dash backlight does not work, so i cant see my gauges
Carbon hood is a little flimsy in the wind, maybe some magnetic strips or velcro to secure it
car is WAY too low, need to adjust the coil-overs up at least 1"
Oil change, fuel filter, spark plugs

mod list:
downpipe (got one from england for 150$ shipped!)
found a brand new SCT X3 tuner on ebay for 175$
euro grill 50$ from england
toms tune
new wheels rota grid gunmetal grey 17x8
yellow fogs (of course)
ITG drop in filter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hiya, I'm late to the party; how'd this work out?

My first thought after I read got a great deal/not running, and standing water/moldy interior and all the fuses are blown is that that this car is flood-damaged, but that's just my 'spidey-sense' tingling. Regardless of source, if everything got wet on it there is going to be corrosion problems and tons of electrical gremlins lurking. The first thing I'd do is put several water-remover/desiccant packs in the interior to pull the moisture out of it. I keep a desiccant pack in my SVT all the time to offset the old weather seals/sunroof and keep it from getting nasty smelling and corroding my electrical bits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice you got it running again! With only 118K it may not have had the timing belt svc done, so be sure you chk that (120K is the Ford svc interval), even though somebody spent a lot of $$ on other mods to the car; sure be a pity to have it lock up on you now ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fixed my car!!!!

Ended up being a bad PCM, something inside it, maybe a return transistor or so was burnt from whatever power surge went through the car and popped all those fuses i mentioned earlier.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the car only has 118k rather than 131k as the owner thought.

Fix list: (advice appreciated)
New sunroof, old one is jammed, bought a replacement assembly for 200$
AIR CONDITIONING DOESNT WORK, nothing happens when you push the AC button, no compressor
front end rattle, maybe a strut tower bearing?
dash backlight does not work, so i cant see my gauges
Carbon hood is a little flimsy in the wind, maybe some magnetic strips or velcro to secure it
car is WAY too low, need to adjust the coil-overs up at least 1"
Oil change, fuel filter, spark plugs

mod list:
downpipe (got one from england for 150$ shipped!)
found a brand new SCT X3 tuner on ebay for 175$
euro grill 50$ from england
toms tune
new wheels rota grid gunmetal grey 17x8
yellow fogs (of course)
ITG drop in filter
My sunroof jammed, which turned out to be a broken slider blocking the track; it still went up/down though, just no retracting. On the topic of gauges backlighting; there is a chip/controller that is located on the back of the oil pressure gauge cluster. Now the EL gauges backlight does get dimmer over time, but mine would start off working very dimly, then just go dark on me while driving at night...pretty disconcerting. I bought the chip from Taiwan and still have a bunch of them knocking around in a drawer as had to order a bulk quantity to get them. Had a stereo shop solder chip in place, and voila' the EL backlight worked again perfectly, albeit a bit more dimly than when car was new. I had looked for an overlay/replacement for the SVT EL panel in order to regain full brightness but didn't find one, so I went old school and traced the issue/swapped the chip out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
as with most "deals" in my life ill probably break even/lose a little in the end but oh well
the car definitely needs a lot of love here and there but its got good bones

thanks for the heads up on the gauge cluster chip, any way i can buy one off you?

timing belt was done at 90k so im good to go for a while!

car passed smog somehow... CEL turned on shortly after (oh jeeeeez)

·
Registered
76 Posts
as with most "deals" in my life ill probably break even/lose a little in the end but oh well
the car definitely needs a lot of love here and there but its got good bones

thanks for the heads up on the gauge cluster chip, any way i can buy one off you?

timing belt was done at 90k so im good to go for a while!

car passed smog somehow... CEL turned on shortly after (oh jeeeeez)
Yeah, I'm chasing down an intermittent CEL for small vacuum leak, but seems to be fuel tank seal/loose hose issue from when had the pump replaced a while back. Aaaah, but the smell of premium unleaded wafting up after fill-ups and making it smell like an old pony-car, or a fireball waiting to happen; I'm gonna really miss that ;).

On the dash lighting control chip, no problem at all, just let me look through my spare parts bin to be sure I can locate those tiny little suckers. Check back with me on those.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah, I'm chasing down an intermittent CEL for small vacuum leak, but seems to be fuel tank seal/loose hose issue from when had the pump replaced a while back. Aaaah, but the smell of premium unleaded wafting up after fill-ups and making it smell like an old pony-car, or a fireball waiting to happen; I'm gonna really miss that ;).

On the dash lighting control chip, no problem at all, just let me look through my spare parts bin to be sure I can locate those tiny little suckers. Check back with me on those.
thanks a lot dude, ill pay you a fair sum plus shipping, just let me know

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
LOL yeah I got that much, guess I stated that oddly. I was referring to what code it threw.

Edit:I came off as an a$$hole in original response.
throwing a p0420 code, probably fowled the 02 sensor with bad fuel, gonna drop some sea foam in the engine and it should help.

tomorrow the ORP goes on and im buying some new wheels Rota Grids in grey!!! maybe figure out the suspension noise and start on the sunroof.

bought some coil over wrenches on ebay to lift the car, idiot before me lowered it so much you cant even carve a mild turn without the wheels scraping

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
good lord the car rips without that stupid cat, almost feels like it doesnt need a chip.
forgot how much of a bitch it is to get the stock pipe out.

changed the oil... it was bad. topped off all the fluids too. Also adjusted the coilovers
a tad for max height (still VERY LOW)

Car needs new pads rear, looks like the Baer kit uses the stock calipers but bumps
them out for a bigger rotor, interesting.

Found a ripped CV joint boot, looks like its been ripped for a while. maybe the source
of my front end clunking? I tested the knuckles, theyre only loose when i torque the
wheels side to side, i can hear a clunking deep under the car. hopefully drivetrain stuff.
BUT i did test the steering and there is a slight clunk when you turn the wheel left and
right at a park. Ill bet the steering rack is a bitch to fix.

sunroof failed to launch, i started with the oh-shit handles and couldnt get them off
even after watching a how to video. For now the glass stays on when i park and off
when i drive HAHAHA

Toms tune in the works, ITG filter coming (with other stuff) from FSWERKS, ordered
some Rota Grids 17x8x40 in gunmetal

21 - 40 of 48 Posts