Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Fidanza short throw shifter. How much of a pain are they to install on a 03 zx3? Also anyone have any reviews to add on the Fidanza brand?

·
Registered
495 Posts
As far as my experiences go, Fidanza is top notch. I have never had any issues with my 2 Honda or my Chev LW flywheels or clutch kits. They are SFI complaint and they are very well balanced. I'm sure the ZETEC LWflywheel that I am currently waiting to install will be no different.

As far as the short shifter goes, I am not familiar. Hopefully someone else can help out!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i love Fidanza products, i know they make some high end stuff. They sell their short throws for my car dirt cheap. Hopefully it's worth it at least lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Not too bad, take out center console and unbolt/careful taking out platic pieces move the wire to outside the base and put back together.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
If you're willing to wait I can do my best to write it up on here as I did with my cfm sts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks but the link inside that one, installation instructions on a B&M shifter, that link didn't work.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Alright so heres what I did, ill try to remember to the best of my ability

1)remove the center console. Should be a couple screws under cup holders and 1-2in the back, a little tab should hide it, carefully lift that to not damage the plastic and unscrew it. Once that's out you gotta wiggle it loose. If it requires force, look for any other tabs
2) press the shift boot in at the bottom to get that loose. The top portion should be zip tied, look for a tiny slit where you can cut it or lift it off. the knob should unscrew. Idr the parking lever but it should just be the cloth that's removed.
3) once you have that removed you should see the base, shifter cables and I wanna say an air bag wire in there. Disconnect the cables(I think one is a slide off and the other are a pop off. DOUBLE CHECK AND USE COMMON SENSE TO REMOVE, DO NOT BREAK THESE.
4a) you will see how the shifter is held onto the base, remove the bolt and lift the shifter/plastic bearings I believe off. Don nit break any of these again, you wild re use these parts. Double check this again, and use common sense.
4b) next I would lift the shifter base off, you should easily see all the screws needed to remove. Move the wire and zip tie it out of the way of the base. If your shifters bottom is longer than stock it will hit and run into this.
5) put plastic parts on the sts
6) put shifter on base, careful I remembering having difficulty with this.
7) put base back on
8) re attach cables
9) make sure everything works and you're not missing anything
10) put console back on
11) attach boots, and knob
12) enjoy?

If I'm mistaken or wrong with anything feel free to fix what I put

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Np, its a loose write up. Double check any specific, such as bolts, screws and what not. Torx isn't uncommon on this car iirc, so get a set of those if you don't already.(as well as the usual wrenches/ratchets&socket/screwdrivers) As long as you have eyes you should be able to see the specifics I messed up on.

I didn't mention it but grease the ball joints as well. I would think the sts should come with it and any misc parts you will need; as well as their own instruction set.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it in the mail yesterday, I want to make sure this is the correct fitting one for the 03 zx3 zetec

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

All done, it is kinda stiff though to change gears. Also some side to side wobble. Doesn't seem to want to center return so much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts