Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You might wat to check - I doubt they ran it dry and anything that was left is a potential issue.

In addition to what everyone else has said (change oil/filter, etc) I would pull out the spark plugs (after cleaning around them with compressed air), put a little engine oil in each cylinder, disable fuel pump, and crank the engine to verify oil pressure.

Good luck
Paul
Thank you very much, I was considering just replacing the tank and fuel pump/filter because they were pretty cheap and I would really like this vehicle to run like new. I'll definitely do the oil in the cylinders as well. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seeing all the good advice on here makes me so happy.:LOL: that's why I love this forum.
Please keep asking questions. I'm with everyone on changing all fluids and checking all plugs and wires. Having sat for so long, who knows if any critters took a bite out of anything. I'm sure you already did, but I'd really take a good look at the frame as well. Why did he just park it instead of using his insurance? Either he was under insured or his insurance was just going to total it out of cost (most states it's like 40% of vehicle worth, so who knows). But something you should be cognisant about.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Put new(er) tires on it also. Even if a tire holds air now it won't take long before a sidewall develops a leak for as old as they are and you don't want one to go at a bad time.

Law, as I understand it, prevents tire dealers from selling tires more than 8 years old and from servicing tires more than 10 years old. There is a reason for it. I had a 1998 Trans Am that I bought in 2009 with 7000 garage kept miles and the original tires. I started driving it and about a month later it started pulling on the highway on my way home from work and was almost flat when I pulled it into the garage. It was a pinhole that had developed in the sidewall. I've seen and heard of other similar stories since then.

As the others have stated, drive it and enjoy it. I never had so much fun driving every day as when I had my SVT. Hopefully it gives you many years of ear to ear grin driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would at least check the coolant hoses. I have a 2002 svt 196,000 on it and I have blown 2 hoses in the last year so I bought a performance set to replace them all

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but I would flush the brake fluid, make sure the pistons move freely and that caliper slides are not seized. Driving with a seized caliper/stuck piston will make for a bad first drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well the day finally came to bring the car back to EP. Turns out it's a 2002, the parts car was an 04. It had the original title with only 8 miles on it. Its number 691 from svt. I'll get good pics and updates tonight, its 600 miles round trip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Talk about a 'time machine', wow, what a great find! Hope you got an excellent deal on it since it need to be fixed and humpty-dumptied together again prior to use. Definitely check anything rubber that may have dry-rotted just sitting for so long, but like the others say, most of the hoses and such are pretty durable on this car. I've only had to replace A/C hoses & compressor, and radiator overflow tank that cracked. But it was my daily driver for a lot of years, then my son's first/school car, and now it's my daily driver again with 119k miles on it and original clutch. There are a number of simple mods you should do almost immediately that are cheap, and you may even find the parts on your donor car, like the dogbone torque mount on tranny/engine...OEM was crap and flexy...replace it STAT! Lots of great tuning/mods info on the forum here, but feel free to reach out if this is your first SVTF. There are a couple of 'must-do items' if you really want to enjoy the car to resolve issues where Ford let the bean counters win. Overall it's one of the best handling/driving cars you will ever own, bar none, if you get it fixed right that is. Congrats again!!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts