Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stumbled across a vehicle and decided I should scoop it up, it's a 2004 SVT focus with 5800 miles. Issue here is that the guy that bought it crashed it but just left it in his garage from 2004 till now. Any recommendations on where to begin trying to get this thing started or things to look out for, motor was untouched but radiator and all of that was destroyed.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
942 Posts
Change the timing belt before starting. Don't loosen the cam gears. Requires an inexpensive alignment tool. Sometimes the fuel pump gets locked up and a good thumping on the gas tank will free it up. First start outside with a fire extinguisher. If it doesn't start within a few seconds,hold the throttle wide open, as that will cut off the injectors, helping to avoid flooding and a possible backfire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change the timing belt before starting. Don't loosen the cam gears. Requires an inexpensive alignment tool. Sometimes the fuel pump gets locked up and a good thumping on the gas tank will free it up. First start outside with a fire extinguisher. If it doesn't start within a few seconds,hold the throttle wide open, as that will cut off the injectors, helping to avoid flooding and a possible backfire.
Awesome thank you very much, I'm trying to get her back on the road asap and enjoy driving a practically new car.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Only use a Motorcraft tensioner and idler pulley. The aftermarket ones are garbage. The SVT is an interference engine so it will bend the valves if the timing belt breaks. The belt will be rotten from age. Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only use a Motorcraft tensioner and idler pulley. The aftermarket ones are garbage. The SVT is an interference engine so it will bend the valves if the timing belt breaks. The belt will be rotten from age. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Definitely will do, any concerns about gaskets or seals considering its sat so long? It was never really broken in at only 5800 miles so I'm not sure what to expect. But I'm hoping to have a reliable daily to keep miles off my ST.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I wouldn't worry about anything but the timing belt. You can fix anything else as you go. Foci are pretty well built. My 165k SVT had many original belts and hoses when I purchased it last June.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Change ALL the fluids. Change the timing belt like what was said. Pull the relay for the fuel pump, and crank it over for awhile before trying to start it. You want the new oil filter to fill with oil before it fires.

·
FF Affiliate
30,479 Posts
I would
Change the timing belt , you need to loosen the gears to get the timing belt back on , I can help if you get the timing back and any codes you might get from it easily
Change the oil and filter
Change plugs to Motorcraft SP463
Flush the cooling system

See if it will crank and go from there

A lot of the parts for the front end are the same on the ZX3 , Raid , Fans , raid support , the head lights , bumper , grill is different , there is always some one parting out a SVT in the forsale section

Tom

·
Registered
942 Posts
Tom. Did you mean to say "if" you loosen the cam gears?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great thank you very much Tom. Thankfully it was sold with a black 04 that runs but with a blown head gasket to pull parts from. So I'll be parting that out after the switch over. Only cosmetic thing I'll have to source is headlights since the parts car has cracked lenses.
I would
Change the timing belt , you need to loosen the gears to get the timing belt back on , I can help if you get the timing back and any codes you might get from it easily
Change the oil and filter
Change plugs to Motorcraft SP463
Flush the cooling system

See if it will crank and go from there

A lot of the parts for the front end are the same on the ZX3 , Raid , Fans , raid support , the head lights , bumper , grill is different , there is always some one parting out a SVT in the forsale section

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't worry about anything but the timing belt. You can fix anything else as you go. Foci are pretty well built. My 165k SVT had many original belts and hoses when I purchased it last June.
Sweet that gives me hope. Thank you very much!! Glad I could soak up some knowledge here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that there's hope for it to run pretty easily I need to decide if I'm going to drive the wheels off her or try to keep the miles down.

·
FF Affiliate
30,479 Posts
Tom. Did you mean to say "if" you loosen the cam gears?
No , its best to loosen the Intake cam gear to get the belt back on properly then if you get the code I can help get it back where it should be , I use to say the same and not loosen the gear but I ran into issues on a couple and worked on how to fix the 1381/1383 codes and got that down and easy

Tom

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
So I stumbled across a vehicle and decided I should scoop it up, it's a 2004 SVT focus with 5800 miles. Issue here is that the guy that bought it crashed it but just left it in his garage from 2004 till now.
Do you know if it still has/had 16 year old gas in it?

Paul

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
From what I'm told it has no gas, it was started once years ago then ran out.
You might want to check - I doubt they ran it dry and anything that was left is a potential issue.

In addition to what everyone else has said (change oil/filter, etc) I would pull out the spark plugs (after cleaning around them with compressed air), put a little engine oil in each cylinder, disable fuel pump, and crank the engine to verify oil pressure.

Good luck
Paul

1 - 20 of 25 Posts