Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so thanks to crutchfield my new kenwood speakers will be in on tuesday and since i am going to have to pull the door panels and rear quarter panels off do you think i should dynamat it? i heard it reduces alot of road noise as well as seals the sound in the car.

its kinda pricey for the stuff but if the doors and panels are going to be off i am wondering if anybody else has done this as well?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
If you can afford it, i say do it. It will not only improve sound, but reduce road noise. I highly reccomend doing the rear of the car. Most of the sound comes from the hatch, and from the floor around the tire wells.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so pull the spare out and do all in there or just pull the mat up and do whats visible?

would you recommend the inside of the hatch door also?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I did that when I had my door panels off as well when I upgraded all my door speakers. I cut small squares about 2 inches bigger than the speaker holes put it over the holes and then cut the Dynamat out .

I also have the foam speaker baffles on my speakers too. I also just ordered a trunk kit from a place called Fat Mat to put on my trunk floor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Every speaker upgrade I do, I make sure to put an area at least double the size of my speakers of dynamat (or equivalent stuff). It really makes a big difference, especially in the doors and rear trunk lid.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So should just do around the speakers or the whole door? I'm confused now. Lol

Sent from my

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well it all depends on ur budget. If u can afford it, do the whole door, if not, a big sheet around the speakers and that foam baffle the other guy was talking about will do wonders for ur sound

·
Registered
23 Posts
i sound deaden the whole interior before i even plan a system. Otherwise its like spending $800 on a set of components then spend $80 on a Craig HU from Kmart.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I'm going to buy enough for the 2 doors and the rear sides and possibly the trunk and door. Probably should run about $200 and change, I may be wrong just from looking at prices for rolls online. Lol

Sent from my Blackberry with Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did that when I had my door panels off as well when I upgraded all my door speakers. I cut small squares about 2 inches bigger than the speaker holes put it over the holes and then cut the Dynamat out .

I also have the foam speaker baffles on my speakers too. I also just ordered a trunk kit from a place called Fat Mat to put on my trunk floor.
Every speaker upgrade I do, I make sure to put an area at least double the size of my speakers of dynamat (or equivalent stuff). It really makes a big difference, especially in the doors and rear trunk lid.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.
i think i am just going to do what you suggest, dynamat,fatmat and brownbread is effing expensive. i am probably going to buy the kit from best buy for 60 bux and it comes with 4 12x36 sheets so i will put one overlapping where the speakers will be.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
get a door kit, that should be enough to cover the front doors plus some. i did a door kit on my front doors and had enough left to still get half my roof, rear doors and other half of the roof is next. and you can also get some foam like great stuff or something and put that in the hatch it helps a lot. stiffens it up and cheap just make sure you can get to the wires for the license plate lights. with the floor of the hatch do it all under the spare tire and everthing huge improvement.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i bought the door kit from best buy and damn that stuff is alot heavier than i expected, lol

now if this rain holds out today i might be able to do the install later, lol

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so speakers are in and they sounded great yesterday, went to go start my car and no sound wtf? they make a quick high pitch type of sound when the stereo come on and no other sound.

the kits came with the oem quick clips so there was no soldering or splicing required.

can anyone please help?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may want to go and double check all of the connections. I personally would ditch the quick clips in favor of individually soldering and heat shrinking each connection.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but i would think it would be one or two speakers not all of them? wouldnt it affect the listening to the radio the whole driving around yesterday?

i just want radio! lol

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
Well it all depends on ur budget. If u can afford it, do the whole door, if not, a big sheet around the speakers and that foam baffle the other guy was talking about will do wonders for ur sound
^^X2. Added both of these when I installed the Boston Acoustics in my '09, and got a noticeably quieter ride just from doing the doors and speaker baffles. Plan to add Dynamat to the floor and wheel arches when I add a small powered sub later.

Another recent mod quieted down the buzzing I got in the sedan from the covers over the B-pillar seatbelt tethers whenever I drove over worn freeway pavement. Pulled those covers (they just unsnap), masked the back and sides, and sprayed a couple coats of rubberized undercoating spray into the interior side of the covers. The extra weight changed the harmonics to the point where the buzz is gone. Since those things sit at ear height, the lack of buzz is perceived as a much quieter interior. [8D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts