Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started noticing this after I changed rims and tires. The new rims are lighter and the offset is not as far out as the stockers, around 7mm, 42 vs the 49 stock.

The rims do not scrub at all lock to lock. I've already replaced the sway bar ends with the moog units so its not those making the noise, also my rather large self doesn't help since the car loses around 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch with me in the drivers seat.

What would this cause the tendency to thunk (sounds like bottoming out), or does this sound more like a worn out suspension, apparently its not too uncommon with these cars even though it only has around 76k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
you most likely need struts/shocks, i get a lot of people complaining bout the bottoming out noise and their struts/shocks when I'm at work, and I replace them for them and no more sound, so id start there

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello?? Doesn't matter if the size is the same, if they have the wrong offset then it could rub for sure.

I hear a noise in my front right corner when hitting bumps. I thought it was the swaybar problem with it moving off center.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Its the offset. The previous owner put new rims on my SVT, and I could see where the tires were coming up and hitting the bottom of the fender. (the paint was rubbed off) I have since put the stock 5spoke SVT's on, and no more bottoming out. I had the exact same symptoms you have. Diameter and Width don't matter, the Offset is what is making it hit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was what I figured, I didnt' really change the rims by choice, the PO had damaged the svt 5 spoke beyond all use, they where cupping tires and impossible to balance, so it looks like longer studs and spacers for me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
hmm I'm not sure what you are going to do with longer studs and spacers... that will only make it worse I'd think. The top of the tire is coming up and hitting the fender, if you push it out more with spacers, it will be worse.

EDIT: My mistake, you said the offset is less, so making the offset match you will be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts