Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just popped 90k miles on it. I believe the previous owner took good care of it as he had maintenance records from the dealer and he was a mechanical engineer himself. Anyway, since i got it I have been changing the oil religiously and I've been very good about listening to odd noises/etc.

Yesterday I started it up to get ready to goto work and I am almost 100% positive I heard a main bearing rattle/knock that lasted about 1.5 seconds until it got oil pressure and then it was silent. It didn't sound like a rod and it certainly didn't sound like a piston. I tried restarting it a few times and it hasn't done it again. When I started it this morning it was completely silent too.

The oil was changed about 500 miles ago with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30. The old oil was still clean when I changed it out too.

I think this is really odd that a car with 90k that has not been abused would have bottom-end noise. Has anyone heard of a stock SVT 2.0 having issues at an age like this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Diagnosing noise can be pretty hard. I know that quite a few people have ran into noises when running that viscosity M1 on other engines. If you occasionally get the noise again you might want to try something like M1 0w-40 or a different brand (Castrol Syntec 0w-30, etc.). You can check out the oil forums for some recommendations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also might be good to go over the engine and check for loose items like pulleys, brackets, exhaust pieces (loose cat heat shield), etc.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using a K & N filter right now.

Cat heat shield is good but the header shield is blown. This was an engine knock sound though, and it sounded like a main by the thud-ish kind of rattle to it. Maybe I'm wrong though... I hope so!

Once again, thanks for the input guys!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I am using a K & N filter right now.
IIRC, they don't make a filter specifically for the SVTF.
(I could also have that mixed up with the Mobil-1 filter though)

But, that's beside the point...
If you cross referenced to a Motorcraft FL-400S, you don't have the right filter.
It doesn't have the correct anti-drainback valve.
I know your 2002 manual will say FL-400S, but 03 and 04 list FL-2005.
Most 02 owners have opted for the latest listing, as it's an updated part.

See these threads:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73892
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58475

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I think you're fine.
Just get the correct filter next time you change the oil.
A few people are running the K&N, and while I haven't seen problems, that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Since I'm still under warranty, I'm making sure what I use meets the Ford Spec at this point in time.
I use the Wix-51315, which cross references to the Motorcraft FL-2005.
I also ran it by the Dealer (asked the mechanic), and he had no problem with it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ok, as soon as I hit 33000, i'll change the oil and get the FL-2005. I almost had a heart attack for a moment.

Thank you, O master of all things Foci [pray]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow guys some excellent info! Thanks!!! That would make sense if it doesn't have a check valve for it to make some noise before the oil got back to it. The K & N has got to go! FL 2005 cross reference filter will come soon.

If my short block is on the way out ( :( ), is it possible to use a 2.3 shortblock with the SVT top end? Does anyone know what the cumbustion chamber volumes are with the SVT 2.0 and the 2.3 Duratec engine? New Duratec's have chain driven camshaft and alu blocks, I'd imagine that would disqualify those but the older one's are like us with a longer stroke right? This is just a brain storm...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
is it possible to use a 2.3 shortblock with the SVT top end?
Virtually impossible.
They're entirely different blocks.
DURATEC vs ZETEC.
In fact, I doubt any components would interchange.

Now, there is a 2.3 stroker kit for the ZETEC. [;)]

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would say if you have the skill-time-money (should only take a few hours) I would take that sucker apart and put new ones in it. Wouldn't hurt a thing to fix it and they gotta have SOME wear. I'm not saying they are junk...but the gotta have some wear.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
the entire motor is completely different. in fact the duratec is technically a mazda motor. like he said though, there is a stroker kit for the zetec available that will bring you up to 2.3L available from tom.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WD40 said:
If you cross referenced to a Motorcraft FL-400S, you don't have the right filter.
It doesn't have the correct anti-drainback valve.
I know your 2002 manual will say FL-400S, but 03 and 04 list FL-2005.
Most 02 owners have opted for the latest listing, as it's an updated part.
According to Steve at Tousley Ford (FORDSVTPARTS on this forum) , both Motorcraft filters are identical except for size. Are you sure about the 400S not having an anti-drainback valve, or having the wrong one? Maybe I misunderstood what he said......??

I've been running Purolator Pure One filters with no complaints so far.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Both the Bypass Pressure Relief and Anti Drainback valves have different specs.
And yes, as noted, the FL-2005 has a higher capacity, and better filtering.
Check those linked threads in my earlier post.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WD40 said:
^^^Both the Bypass Pressure Relief and Anti Drainback valves have different specs.
And yes, as noted, the FL-2005 has a higher capacity, and better filtering.
Check those linked threads in my earlier post.
Thanks for the links - I've read them before (I did a search! Good for me!), but those threads only mention the bypass/relief differences (which have no operational effect on a clean filter) and the size and filtration; no specs about the anti-drainback valves that I saw. And with all due respect, I think the guy in the second thread who said the 400S didn't have an anti-drainback valve was mistaken - both filters have AD valves, and as far as I know, most filters for 4 cyl cars have them (except some cheapo Fram garbage). Maybe the valves are not the same, who knows. I suspect that the 2005 may/could (?) provide a larger or more effective AD valve since it is designed for higher operational flow/service than the 400s (duh - it's bigger!)

Obviously the 2005 is the one to get for the filtration efficiency anyway. So moot point.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If my bottom-end does go, this is something I think is worth considering. This is a ball park figure and I'd have to check the domes and such from various manufacturers but if the compression height, dome, etc is the same, the compression should jump a little bit from this rebuild. I wonder what a ZX3 head gasket would do to change the compression too...

Stock SVT 2.0L (121cu in):
BORE: 3.34" (84.8mm)
STROKE: 3.46" (88.0mm)
COMPRESSION: 10.2:1
COMBUSTION CHAMBER VOL: 2.972 cu in

New SVT 2.12L (127.2cu in)
BORE: 3.385 (86.0mm)
STROKE: 3.46" (88.0mm)
COMPRESSION: 10.7:1
COMBUSTION CHAMBER VOL: 2.972 cu in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.