Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 16v climate

Not had this problem before but one night went to turn headlights on and nothing. On inspection I see both bulbs aren't working. I can still hear the click from the fuse box direction when I turn the switch to turn the lights on so I ssume that isn't an issue. I've checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I'm guessing it's the bulbs? Bit puzzled that both bulbs should go at the same time. Is this a common problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just had a browse over the 1st few pages of this forum and seen how basic and shit this question is (oops)

sorry but my MOT is due next week so I need to get this sorted a.s.a.p

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If both bulbs are aftermarket and both went in at the same time, it is not unreasonable for them to both go out at once. I've had it happen once or twice, since I change both out when one goes out. If the bulbs are manufactured at the same time, go in at the same time, and see the same amount of use it is not that far fetched.

That being said, I'd also take a peek at the switch and fuse just to make sure that it isn't more than a coincidence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the fuse is fine. swapped fuses over just to make sure. check the switch? what do you mean by that? sorry I know bugger all about fixing cars

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The switch you turn the lights on with, but that is a bit far fetched if you hear it trying to click on. Have you put in good bulbs and still gotten no headlights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm waiting on some new xenon bulbs to be delivered so will try those as soon as I get them

I dont think it's the switch as i can hear the click plus the sidelights are working and they're powered by the same switch

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
High and low beams are on different relays. It is the switch, even if you can hear a click. Borrow a digital multi-meter to test the electrical, remove the switch, and you'll be most likely to find that is the problem.

As it is right now, it won't work with Xenons either.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 16v climate

Not had this problem before but one night went to turn headlights on and nothing. On inspection I see both bulbs aren't working. I can still hear the click from the fuse box direction when I turn the switch to turn the lights on so I ssume that isn't an issue. I've checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I'm guessing it's the bulbs? Bit puzzled that both bulbs should go at the same time. Is this a common problem?

Thanks
Hi Dazza5,

Hmm, that sounds like a confusing issue! Your dealer will be best able to determine why your lights went out. They will also be well-versed on MoT requirements, and they can make sure any work is carried out to Ford’s exacting standards. Please let me know if I can be of any additional help!

~Natasha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new bulbs arrived today. despite my fears it only took about half an hour to fit all 3 sets (low beam, headlight, full beam)

delighted to say all lights working. old headlight bulbs were nackered. filaments were broken and glass on both bulbs burnt brown

now to get some new wipers............

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's possible, it includes the high/low switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts