Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the caliper paint (the dupli color paint kit you can get) was sitting on the part self a little to long and the paint was a lot thicker then it should have been. I want to pull the stuff off and get the special spray paint for them. How do I (can I?) remove the paint that I painted on??

The Focus is on blocks with the calipers completely off so I can submerge or do what ever needs to be done to the calipers to remove the old stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Go buy a cheap sand blast gun $30 an a bag of sand $3... should do the trick

·
Banned
167 Posts
Paint stripper, or you can sand blast them, i would actually use soda blast as it is not abrasive, you just have to make sure to clean them really well after basting as it leaves a coating on the parts.

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will brake cleaner remove the pain designed for brake calipers??? that seems kind of stupid.

Think I will find some aircraft paint stripper. Was not sure with the ceramic and designed for calipers if traditional paint stripping methods are not as efficient...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Paint stripper, or you can sand blast them, i would actually use soda blast as it is not abrasive, you just have to make sure to clean them really well after basting as it leaves a coating on the parts.
How about brake fluid? It eats through paint like crazy, and calipers are immune to it! Try leaving a drop of BF on your fender for a day....

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
^^^ I almost posted that, then I was like.... no..... they'll freak out. It takes a few days for brake fluid to flake paint up on it's own, but depending on the paint you can wipe it off within about 30 mins.

I hate brake fluid. I had thumb prints on my Aerostar from a slave cylinder nightmare, and some D.wad I work with poured some on the back of the wagon's hatch last year because my work was getting me more credit than his butt kissing was giving him.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^^^ I almost posted that, then I was like.... no..... they'll freak out. It takes a few days for brake fluid to flake paint up on it's own, but depending on the paint you can wipe it off within about 30 mins.

I hate brake fluid. I had thumb prints on my Aerostar from a slave cylinder nightmare, and some D.wad I work with poured some on the back of the wagon's hatch last year because my work was getting me more credit than his butt kissing was giving him.
Ya, know what you mean. My glom-fingered son wiped the radio control buttons clean on the steering wheel of our GM van with his brake fluid fingers! Grrrr.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would put brake fluid in the same category as brake cleaner as an effective solvent to remove paint designed for calipers.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would put brake fluid in the same category as brake cleaner as an effective solvent to remove paint designed for calipers.
Ya, probably, except what I would do is cover the caliper in BF and let it do its thing and then clean the mess up with brake cleaner to get the oily scum off.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I had suggested using aircraft remover. Well, I used some CRC brake cleaner on something today. I sprayed the parts and the paint practically dripped off. With aircraft remover you have to wait for it to react. Plus, it's only $4.99 for a large spray can. Aircraft remover is $10.00.

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I just don't see how brake cleaner will work when its is brake caliper specific paint,,, you would think that the paint is developed to not react to brake cleaner... Auto zone has the Auto paint stripper for $7.50... I would rather get a can of that then find out after getting the brake cleaner that I need to pick up a can of paint stripper also.

I need to get some brake cleaner to have on hand either way so will most likely just get a can of both...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I had suggested using aircraft remover. Well, I used some CRC brake cleaner on something today. I sprayed the parts and the paint practically dripped off. With aircraft remover you have to wait for it to react. Plus, it's only $4.99 for a large spray can. Aircraft remover is $10.00.
Guess I just don't see how brake cleaner will work when its is brake caliper specific paint,,, you would think that the paint is developed to not react to brake cleaner... Auto zone has the Auto paint stripper for $7.50... I would rather get a can of that then find out after getting the brake cleaner that I need to pick up a can of paint stripper also.

I need to get some brake cleaner to have on hand either way so will most likely just get a can of both...
What you guys end up using? aircraft or crc brake clean?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts