Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell everyone.

I have a 2004 16V 2.0 Focus, and today I changed the original Motorcraft spark plugs over to new Bosch Double Platinum (the ones with the two prongs) and my engine seems to be a slight hesitant and low powered.

I checked all the wires and no dirt got into the crank case.

Has anyone had any problems with Bosch plugs?
Also, can anyone confirm that the Bosch size for this car is: 4309?
Thats what the guy at Autozone gave me, but I knew they can make a mistake too.

I appreciate any help that you may be able to give me.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well one thing with the Bosch two pronged is they are a total waste of money. Electricity will take the path of least resistance so having two prongs defeats itself as the spark will only follow one of the two paths.

Now I am not sure how they gap those plugs from the factory or if they can be gapped properly. But my guess for your problem is that the gap is just too big for your ignition system to handle causing problems. I don't think you can even gap them properly. I would just go back to the store and get some good copper core autolites or motorcraft plugs. The copper will conduct the electricity better than the platinum and you will be able to gap them properly. I believe its supposed to be .051." Really the only advantage of a platinum plug is how long they last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would just go back to the store and get some good copper core autolites or motorcraft plugs... Really the only advantage of a platinum plug is how long they last.
+1. [thumb] IMHO Bosch Platinum plugs are a worthless marketing gimmick. The teensy-weensy platinum center electrode fouls easily because it's so small, and the plugs are really difficult to re-gap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

The original plugs that I took out of the car were Motorcraft Platinums.
So I figures that Platinum was required since the factory installed that type.
I'll just buy some regular platinum plugs, not the Bosch ones for the Focus.

Ah well, live and learn, right?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yea just stay with stock they will work fine but if you are looking an improvement then go with the copper core, you will just ahve to change them more often.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
yeah i took my stock plugs out and replaced with cheap champon ones and i can feel the different!!

im putting my old plugs back in even if they have 50,000 miles on them

C

·
0 Posts
No reason really to change from the recommended Motocraft plugs. They do the job well and cause no problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyone's help.
The local autozone didn't have any Motocraft plugs in stock for my Focus and the the local Ford dealership is relocating and will be closed for two weeks.

So I took a gamble and bought the NGK Iridium plugs and man they are great!
I even like them better than the original Motocraft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts