Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just ordered a borla catback for my 2.3l, and I was just curious about how long it will take to install when it arrives, and what exaxtly is required?

Thanks alot. [;)]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You'll need to cut your exhaust in half near the rear subframe. Also, lots of PB Blaster, and any tools to deal with a stripped bolt. Those exhaust bolts holding it to the manifold will be rusted on hard. You might need a cutoff wheel too, or similiar, since there is a peg that sticks out from the manifold.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, cool. But the hardest part is getting the old out right? I mean, installing the new is pretty straight forward right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
FULLBLOWN said:
Okay, cool. But the hardest part is getting the old out right? I mean, installing the new is pretty straight forward right?
I guess I was lucky when I did my exhaust my car only had about 10k miles on it and had not been though a winter yet. My old exhaust came out easy, the hardest part was getting the saw under the car since we coudlnt jack it up to high. Getting the new one is was pretty easy just slide the pipes together and clamp them down.

Hardest part was probably getting the saw that I was using under the car and getting the old exhaust off the hangers. Good luck you will love it![thumb]

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
do you have a stock flexpipe? are you installing it from the stock flex to back?. if you do you might have some problems bolting the exhaust to the flex. the bolts dont line up, well at least on the 05 ST they dont.

·
Registered
650 Posts
bolts didn't line up here either... Take it to an exhaust shop, they can reflange it for around $30-50...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exhaust on my car is totally stock, and as far as I know, its a catback system, so will i even get to mess with the flex pipe?

·
☼
7,494 Posts
You won't go near the flex.. basically you're gonna cut between 4-6" downpipe from the cat, then attach the borla, use the thing that seals it (can't think of the name for the life of me) and attach everything to the hangers.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^

exhuast gasket?

lol, there are different types of exhuast gaskets. soft metal donuts are one type ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
My borla install took me all of 1 hour start to finish.

If you are doing the flex back, be sure to spray your bolts down with PB Blaster the night before (or an hour before) to help you break them free. Also use some soapy water on your hangers this REALLY helps to get them out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
polar said:
yup, looks a lot like mine.

I got mine from Borla when they were clearing them out.
Also got mine from Borla when they were letting them go for insane prices [thumb] [:D]

Looks exactly like mine too... well other then no cat [hihi]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts