Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boring out front knuckle?

I have a '05 ford focus st. I'm in the process of installing ground control coil over sleeves. I had some custom shocks/struts machined and valved specifically for my set up. the rear shocks went in smoothly with no issues at all. Installing my front struts was a different story. It seems like the OD of the lower portion of the strut is 50mm rather than 45.5mm. I'm guessing i can get knuckles off of a 06+ focus. Would i need knuckles for a 06+ st? or would other models work as well? Or has anyone tried machining out the bore for the strut? Any adverse effects from doing this? I'm kind of leaning towards machining my knuckles, because i'd save a ton of money. input please!!!! [???:)]

edit: spindles not knuckles

re-edit: back to knuckles, not spindles.. haha

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
um, the most i can say is that the spindle is bigger on the 06+ foci and it should be the same thing as the older foci, except for the spindle size. i feel like that'd be a safer bet than to bore it out. i could be wrong but i'd just go with switching it out

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Go for the '06+ spindle's if that work's for you. You get them & you have them= no waiting for machine work & how long it take's= there are alway's people a head of you, the shop isn't going to stop what there are doing to machine your spindle's are they?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local machine shop has a pretty quick turn around time. Usually a day for a simple job like that. Do you think that extra 2.25mm shaved off will effect the integrity of the knuckles? Plus if I get the 06+ I'd spend more money, have to wait for shipping, and still have to take my control arms to the shop to get the ball joints pressed out and get the 06+ ball joints pressed in. ??[???:)] right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like I can just grind/drill out the existing ball joint and install the 06+ ball joint, correct? Can anyone suggest a good site to order the 06+ knuckles from? Or does anyone want to trade their 06+ knuckles for my '05 knuckles? Lol[rolleyes]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts