Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods: Is it alright If I have the wheels in here or do I need a seperate thread?
Thanks.

Here's the new grill. Hard to see from the first picture beacuse of the lighting, but it's on there. It's made from....gutter screen baby. Total cost $0. The flash in the second pics puts way too much light through it. If I get a stock lower grill I'm going to cut out the horizontal slats and it should look almost identical to the Euro lower. I think the attachment points came out good as well. It loops over the top of the grill in some spots, snakes around next to the foglights and hooks in behind. In the third and fourth picture, the grill is attached in three spots down the center which are pretty hard to see unless your nose is against it. I'm not really extatic about how it came out, but for $0 I can't complain. With the slats gone, it should look much better.

I re-tinted and cleared the sidemarkers, tinted and cleared the front turns, and got some tinted tails from SVTADAM. I sanded and polished those to get rid of some minor scratches and to lighten up the reverse light.

Here are the painted stock wheels. Duplicolor black wheel paint and Duplicolor wheel clear. I didn't do much prep on the wheels since they will be for the winter. A quick wetsand and wipe down with paint thinner. No runs on the wheels and even coverage. Only downside is that the paint shows any and all imperfections in the wheels.

BTW, I'm a photowhore and ImageShack loves me for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey I like the grill actually gives me an idea. How did you get it for free... was it laying round the house? Where you think I can pick up some of them? As for the wheels I think they turned out pretty good. Thats only dust which you can sand off if it bothers you that much, but I think they turned out good. I'm going to do mine, but there the sedan stock ones.. different from that... so sanding them is going to be a PITA.

Hada question.. did the paint thinner reduce the sanding time? Or why did you use it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I had some lying around the house. I think Home Depot carries it as pre-cut gutter screen. I think I may wetsand the wheels and clear them again to get rid of some of that dust.

I used the paint thinner to clean off the brake dust and other road gunk that was on the wheels. It ruined the shiny finish of the wheel, but I didn't care since I was painting them. It did save a bit on sanding time because I didn't have to focus on getting dirt off, only small scratches. I washed them off with the hose too to get all the junk from the sanding off and then washed them again with thinner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
oh ok.. I got some brake cleaner I heard works wonder to clean the shit outta the rims... Got another question... I have scratches... but one of my wheels I kinda scraped the inside of the circle where your lug nut is at.. Due to a anti theft lug and I was trying to get space to take it off with a socket... but anyways.. would it be possible to sand that out... I'm starting my rims 2mrrow... just that 1 rim, and flaw is bothering me. I am going to use 180 grit.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on how deep it is. I finished up my wheels with a 1500 grit wetsand. You can atleast blend it in a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okay what exactly is wetsand.... if you have AIM im me at baggin4draggin so I don't whore your thread up... it'll help me alot since you done this already.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I got to head to work, but wetsanding is when you use a special water proof sandpaper and you keep what you are sanding wet. When you look for sandpaper some should say wetsand on it.

·
SONIC ZX3
2,253 Posts
looks good!!
how many coats of paint and clear?
did mine 3 weeks ago took about 2 coats primer 10 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear.
oh yeah took all weekend with sanding and painting. how long did it take you?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I like it... looks pretty good!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

dipindods said:
looks good!!
how many coats of paint and clear?
did mine 3 weeks ago took about 2 coats primer 10 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear.
oh yeah took all weekend with sanding and painting. how long did it take you?
I would say it took me about four hours to prep and paint the wheels. I ended up doing no primer, four coats of paint (two dustings, and two thicker), and two coats of clear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts