Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I found these wheels on the internets buy sell ads,

Now the Guy says there Borbets, but they look pretty rough. He is saying all they need is a coat of paint and I disagree. I've posted a picture of the 2 wheels that need the most work, notice the chipping and amount of peeling of the clear coat, do you think I can save these with some sand basting and refinishing?

Do you think it will take too much work? or are they worth saving?

Dudebro is asking $200 cnd and I personally think he is out to lunch.

Any comments?

Thanks.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
They're totally worth saving IMO. 4x108 isn't very common, and Borbets aren't cheap aftermarket rims like Rotas.

·
Registered
624 Posts
^^X2

if they are your bolt pattern, then they are worth investing in. I would see if you can get him a little lower first

this is what they could look like:

I wish I could find a set

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I would say as long as there not cracked or otherwise structurally hurt then yes they are worth it. Get them blasted and coated and your down the road. Its going to set you back to have the work done, but worth it in the end.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
They are rough and need a lot of work. to me 200 seems steep, $100 + time + paint = decent looking wheels.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
you can probably knock him down a bit maybe to around 180 but possibly even lower if he doesnt have the caps. usually cash talks

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] paint that's for cheap wheels. 1)media blast and powder coat. Way more durable. They will hold there value if u redo them correctly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys,

Well I emailed guy last night and waiting for a reply, I wont talk turkey with him until I'm standing in front of him waving some cash around.

i think these will be a good winter project and have them on the car for next spring when my stockers will need tires anyway.

That gives me time to collect some rubber and suspension goodies.

Also, Apparently the rims have a 38 offset, what is the ballpark width on an 16 inch rim that I should be looking for?

·
Registered
73 Posts
those are the volvo ones from kijiji? I'm willing to sell you a better one. my orange wheels. it'll couple houndy more I supposed. comes with rubbers.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
those are worth saving, the 38mm offset on a 16 should be OK with 205/50's, my 40mm offsets dont rub with that tire size.

Of course, thats if theyre 7" wide like mine. If these are 7.5"-8 that might be an issue

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy is not moving on the price, and I'm finding mint OEM rims for a lot less.

I'm not paying 200 bucks for rims I have to spend another 80 bucks each on to bring them up. If he wants to let them go for 100-150, I will take them.

And Yes they are 7 inch and I used the offset calc, and they will fit just fine,

Aaannd Blitz send me the info on your rims.

thx.

·
Registered
229 Posts
$200 is worth it for those wheels. You can do it yourself for maybe $75 total for all 4 wheels. Those wheels look super easy to sand/prep and paint.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
While one of many good looking wheels, these aren't like gold or anything. You are not going to see anything north of $100/wheel for resell IMO. I'm with you, $25-$40 each in that condition, especially without the caps. I'd be pretty leery of the structural integrity of wheels in that condition. Hairline stress cracks could be tough to spot. You could be looking at 8 year old wheels. Just some thoughts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts