1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I say 18". You should be fine on your springs. I think FocusBoy58 has springs and is running a really nice set of 19" wheels just fine.

if you go 17" you may regret it as you'll have like 3.5"+ of tire sidewall under the lowered car. That and I have the stock SEL 17's and I want to go 18" preferably but the main styles I've been looking at come in 19's as the smallest.

But nice looking wheels. Good choice on whichever size you decide.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have stock SEL 17"s... there's definitely not 3.5" of sidewall... they won't be as low-profile as 18"s but they'll look nice, and the ticker sidewalls will give you better ride comfort, less road noise, etc. and if you ever decide to auto-X or quarter mile smaller wheels with thicker sidewalls are better, you can let a little air out and get more rubber on the road.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only thing I wish my SEL had were 17inch wheels (16 inch [headbang]). I think they would have been the perfect size for me when it came to looks while still having a little enough sidewall to cope with the horrible roads around here.

On a lowered car with an emphasis on looks, the 18's would probably have more presence. And judging by Tireracks wheel configurator I actually think the 18's look better.

Sorry that looks like shite. I tried to lower it. [:I]

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Those are some REALLY nice wheels.

17s or 18s would look good, I don't think you could really lose, honestly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been looking at those exact wheels for awhile now on tirerack... They are very nice looking wheels. As far as 17" or 18", its a compromise in style vs ride comfort and gas mileage. 18's look awesome, but are going to ride rough with low pro tires. 17's are a "little" lighter and have more air between you and the road.

·
Registered
537 Posts
18's look better but tires are more expensive, like way more expensive in some cases. I'd still get 18's though, they just fit the car so much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
18's look better but tires are more expensive, like way more expensive in some cases. I'd still get 18's though, they just fit the car so much better.
Defintily a pretty penny more than the 17's, I just dont want 18's to seem to large for the Fo', but 18's do suit the car very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts