Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I closed the boot, the screen said the boot was still open.

Its definitely shut and secure.

This is a Euro model LT sedan.

Does anyone know how to fix the sensor? Or have any idea whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Short or open somewhere probably. Either in switch which is most likely incorporated in latch assembly (new latch coming up) or possibly the wiring loom at the trunk hinge area, the harnesses have a tendency to crack wires inside them under the boot covering from all the repeat flexing as trunk opened over and over. Ford used crap insulation there. Many have had issues with various things in those harnesses failing out from that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Ive checked where the wiring harness thread through the openings. My next job is to take some stuff apart.

This could be messy. Im not very mechanicly minded.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, the latch assy. that includes a switch to report open/closed isn't made to be repairable so unless you're QUITE handy there's little you can do if the problem lies there.

OTOH, a latch not closing fully isn't uncommon & lubing it helps. On my sedan I found that if the latch doesn't fully open it won't close completely either leaving the switch showing open. Pulling the emergency release when open "set" it better for closing & solved my similar problem for years now (lubed it as well).

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Check the screw in bumpers at corners of the door, if they vibrate out a bit the lid will close but not enough to close the switch, might be a real easy fix there. Mine has done that once.

Disconnect the connector at the latch and see if light goes out, that might tell you if switch in latch is bad depending on if switch is NO or NC type.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My earlier model has a NC (normally closed) switch, latch assy. disconnected turns the door ajar light on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i manually close the latch, it stops halfway and clicks into place, i can push it closed further and it clicks closed again.

Maybe when im shutting it, its only getting to that first click.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That sounds like the loose hatch latch syndrome previously described.

Always dangerous in the rear of the vehicle because it lets in exhaust fumes, and specifically CO and CO2 that can't be smelled. My sister had that issue with Honda station wagon. She would get tired on a 1 hr trip, then wake up once she was home. After I told her to crack the front and back window on her side, she didn't have a problem getting snoozy. We had the rear hatch repaired ASAP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts