Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how this set up works? where is the switch that detects that the boot is shut? A few times lately my boot is closed but the dash indicator is lit saying 'door open', its always the boot. Trouble is I've had an intermittant start problem and I think its linked to this as if the last thing I do is shut the boot and lock up sometimes the boot interior light must be staying on causing a drain. Suppose I could just take the bulb out but that would'nt stop the dash indicator coming on to say 'door open' so i would prefer to fix this. Anybody know how to adjust this set up?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I have no clue what a "boot" is.
I'm going to guess it's the hatch/trunk and if so the door adjar switch is on the hatch/trunk side of the mechanism. I'm not sure how or if the switch can be adjusted though, I know the latch pin can. Guess I'd check and make sure it is actually closing and the body seams line up well.

I wouldn't think this is related to any startup issue, besides a drained battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will adjust the latch and see if it sorts it. The interior trunk/hatch light is draining my battery over night as its not sensing its closed. I have also taken the bulb out now until I sort it. The boot is indeed the trunk/hatch lol. :)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
is your car a Hatchback or a sedan ????

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just post the link, Feral -- you KNOW this is gonna turn out to be another hatch wiring issue! You know if you don't do it, I will!

[;)]

EDITED TO ADD:

Ah, what the heck -- here's the info (gonna go ahead and steal Feral's thunder yet again!):

The wiring bundle that goes from the body to the hatch on the Focus has a known issue relating to problems with the insulation on that bundle fraying/cracking. If you have broken or frayed insulation there, that could be affecting your rear wiper.

Check this thread for a good pic that Feral posted showing the typical problem:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177074

As I mentioned in that thread, I've checked my harness, and I do have some cracked insulation. Doesn't seem to be causing any shorts for me, but now I'm aware that it exists. My wiring bundle has been taped up either at the factory or by a previous owner, and the tape seems to be what's preventing any shorts. I may eventually repair the broken wiring myself, but that's a job for the winter months when the car will be garaged (unless it starts causing problems before that).

Hope this helps!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Falls over laughing this is bad I mean real bad when you pop in and fire these off but yeah I notice that the trunk latch's on hatch's and wagons have a signal wire to the cars computer and guess what I unplugged it and found the same issue the car would show the trunk open.. Hence I asked XD

·
Registered
98 Posts
[shhh]

Shhhh . . . be vewwy, vewwy quiet -- we're hunting Feral!

[giggle]

[rofl]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts