Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ford focus ZX3 and i am trying to find a turbo kit with FMIC whats the best way to build the engine to get 15lbs of boost.. and a good tuner that will help dial it in. i need help with getting some custom interior things and a body kit halo lights carbon tail lights.. help me if you can

·
Registered
0 Posts
First off which engine do you have?

What are you looking for Interior-wise? The SVT Interior is a very nice interior and it easily swaps into a ZX3.

BTW, welcome to the Mid-Atlantic, where you located? [wave]

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
I just boosted my ZX3 a few weeks ago. I'm pushing 10psi on the factory internals. I wouldn't recommend going above 11psi on the factory rods, pistons, and bearings as that's pretty much the breaking point. As far as a turbo kit for the zetec, I haven't a clue. Mine's an 07 with the duratec. You can find decent forged rods and pistons from F2 and bearings as well. If you are looking into upgrading cams then I would suggest going for the crane stage 1 cams and port the head a bit to get the best air flow. I do alot of tuning applications and have a habit of tinkering with ECU's to the point of stupidity, check out the link below to see what I'm talking about. My friend and I pulled our knowledge together and created this forum:

http://www.patrickscomputer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6

I could help you with tuning if you need it unless its a daily driver cause I don't want to f you if something goes wrong in my programing. Also, kent cam gears are definite if you want that fine tune adjustments. Also look into a centerforce or exedy clutch for that boost app. You could probably get away with 9.5:1 compression pistons if going with 15psi. I personally would supercharge the zetec as its much more friendly for it and you can find alot more options in the way of centrifigul boost! That's about all I got and welcome to FF, where ya located?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ford focus

I am from fincastle, virginia, it a zetec motor 5 spd, 2.0

·
Registered
0 Posts
How much money are you looking to spend? You can always get a low quality ebay kit for under 1K or you can of course go with a nice Vortech Kit, or one of Turbo Tom's custom kits?

For Tuning, either Ray at McNews or Tom at Focus Power FTW!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ford focus

the only thing i have done to it is 8.5 mm spark plugs wires and ngk iridium plugs

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
Ken knows the area alot better than I do. Take his advice. I spent the $4k for my stage 2 kit but it's well worth the bang when you put the petal to the floor. Again, think about internals and drivetrain before you start boost'n.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ford focus

hey ken i have ten thousand dollars to spend

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ford focus

Bump

·
Registered
0 Posts
^^take ur car to tom. hes located in N.C. go to the forum marked.."focus power" here. thats the guy u wanna talk to.
X2, go to the Focus Power Forum on here and talk to Tom, he's located in NC and knows his stuff.

You also have a few other options as well and of course you'd want to get a tune to get it perfect with any of these options:

CFM has the SPA Turbo Kit: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1831

Massive Speed has the Thrustt Turbo Kit: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.massivespeedsystem.com/sess/utn15495a32c9431ee/shopdata/index.shopscript

Focus Sport has the VF Supercharger Kit: http://focussport.com/supercharger.htm

There are also the Powerworks and Jackson Racing Supercharger Kits with a few of them still lingering around, and there's also a few turbo kits like the Roush Kit that may still be lingering about somewhere.

I'd probably get in touch with Tom at Focus Power if I were you because it sounds like you wanna go big.

·
Registered
916 Posts
whadda bouta cosworth BUILT engine normally aspirated?? or a mamba BUILT engine??--if i had 10g's thats the way i'd go!!

2-cent's deposited

·
Registered
0 Posts
He's gotta Zetec Engine so I tried to keep it simple.

But hell steve's gotta point, Do a Cosworth swap FTW!

Hell you could do a V8 Swap as well, you'd also want to talk to Tom from Focus Power on a V8 swap as well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
i was thinkin bout reliability--ok so not mamba-but dunnell builds zetec's--i wanna see that V8 focus on the twisty day run!!!!--watch out Viney!!! [driving]

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ford focus

Well if i try to do the v8 build can i use a used 305 mustang motor and tranny from a 1990 or do i have to buy a new one bc they say that they cost 30000 to get it brand new..i might go cosworth bc i want something that goes 300 horses on boost..i was thinking jp pistons and 272 cams..but i wanna see how much i can do with this stock motor i have before i try anything crazy...can anyone help on what i can do to get m y stock motor built...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can run 12psi on stock zetec internals... that'll put you aroun 240whp and matching wtq.

·
FF Affiliate
31,093 Posts
240/250 is max on the Zetec engine , 300HP on the Zetec to the wheels has been dont many times and isnt a hard goal to reach with a built engine

Let me know if I can help

Tom

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i would never put 10g into a focus sorry, but if you want to talk to ^^^

1 - 20 of 28 Posts