Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering aside from adding ST turbo.. is there any companies that make blowers for the regular 2.0 focus.. and has anyone added juice to a n/a focus.. are there any differences in a N/A 2.0 and ST motor..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
VERY little is the same between the N/A 2.0 & the ST engine.

Different head up top & compression ratio in the bottom for starters.

Block resembles the old 2.3 more in that it has the same type balance shaft assy., so close that the same BSD kit works. (delete kit)

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
so then will the n/a 2.0 handle boost.. is there a supercharger kit for the 2.0
No one has done it yet in the community at large. There was a SEMA show car by vaccar that was turbocharged but tuning was not available at the time so no one really knows if the turbo actually was functional. Roush toyed with a TVS900 supercharged Focus Stage 3 package at one time also for SEMA. Roush did not put the kit into production. Too expensive and less powerful than the factory 2.0 L EcoBoost GTDI engine for the Focus ST.

The only functional N/A built into turbo was done by Cobb Tuning as a test bed for the MK3 ST but they lowered the compression ratio and installed a mazdaspeed3 gearbox and modified axles to build a test mule rather than keeping it anywhere near stock.

It is possible to build a custom set up, but so far the demand has not been there for a kit. Most of the market demand for a hopped up Focus has been going into the ST which is already set up to run boost from the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the above poster, the custom route would be the best bet for now. You could try reusing a st turbocharger, however you would need to do a lot more than just bolting on ST parts. Also no one knows what kind of gains there would be. It's very likely a different turbo would be suited for our higher compression car... Or you might need to lower it...

Also I'd say wait a few years if you can. I bet the aftermarket for performance will pick up on these things when more people are out of the warranty stages of ownership.

I know that's the case for me. When that time is up I'll definitely be talking to some custom shops around here... That is, if there isn't anything on the market by then. For me I would sleep better on a stock car +warranty, than a boosted NA car still under warranty, if something breaks you will be SOL. However if warranty isn't an issue for you... Boost away!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
why did they choose mazda trans. is the gear box stronger..
Cobb tuning was familiar with the Mazdaspeed3 already and were trying to build an analog test mule for Focus ST development iirc. The MTX75 has been used behind the Noble M12 and other cars with twin turbocharged 3.0L v6 engines making over 300 hp but the differential would need to be changed and a few other parts along the way for that application.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
To add,

Mazda/Ford MTX-75 trans is the same, and it's the manual trans that bolts up to the 2.0 duratec TiVCT. ST uses a Getrag 6 spd.

So if you're dropping a different engine into the ST & you've already got a Mazda sourced MTX-75 that's modified on hand, no reason to source the SAME THING from Ford and modify it for the purpose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Simply from what i have learned if your willing to get your engine torn down then change the rods for shorter ones and you will have the right compression ratio. Some required items needed is a good tune, better oil feed/(Oil container) even better injectors(not sure on this one), tune is most important tho since it is a GDI Engine. Transmission is iffy i have 2012 dct and mine is still holding up for now by if your manual you might be in luck. The manual can hold a bit more since it is single clutch and no one has really pushed it. If some one who (god forbid crashed) and had a spare tranny that was good, some one could test it out for knowledge purposes we could atleast get a good breaking point or even know how much we can push it to.... with that we can get point for a reliable performance/dd tune.

I am personally not going this route because i found a better option by completely swapping the engine.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
iVoid - MTX-75 isn't an "unknown", it's been in use since the zetec models of '00 here at least.

Swap into the MkIII is written up as a "stickie" in the engine/trans swap section for cars that don't already have one.

Old threads in the Forced Induction section mention the HP capability, limited slip installation is best to remove the weak point of differential spider gearing for higher HP levels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i was asking the dyno for just general numbers because it give in site if this is the best way to go(too me it seems like it is) some people just want proof rather than old fact not a lot of people will buy something unless it has been confirmed or tested these days. i just wanted to see if there was a slight hp gain because if there was it gives proof that there is more torque and hp hitting the pavement.

Good to know the manuals at least have something to use, dct are another issue altogether.

The capability of that trans is not important to me the stock mk3 ones are, if those have any good possibility might as well test it out, if i had enough money atm to buy my v6 engine swap and knew i had all the part i would push my tranny to death to learn the limitations..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Mentioned it because it's the stock MkIII manual trans..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx Tom,

I didn't know HOW far back it went prior to the Focus offhand.

Sounds like 20 years by now, can't be too bad...

·
Registered
74 Posts
i was asking the dyno for just general numbers because it give in site if this is the best way to go(too me it seems like it is) some people just want proof rather than old fact not a lot of people will buy something unless it has been confirmed or tested these days. i just wanted to see if there was a slight hp gain because if there was it gives proof that there is more torque and hp hitting the pavement.

Good to know the manuals at least have something to use, dct are another issue altogether.

The capability of that trans is not important to me the stock mk3 ones are, if those have any good possibility might as well test it out, if i had enough money atm to buy my v6 engine swap and knew i had all the part i would push my tranny to death to learn the limitations..

I know there are some problems with the DCT but aren't most of those because of bad seals and programming? I would say at this point it is a complete unknown as to whether the standard OR DCTs will handle more horse power. BTW doesnt Lamborghini use a dual clutch system as well for their "auto tranny"?

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/next-gen-gallardo-get-dual-clutch-25042/

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I know there are some problems with the DCT but aren't most of those because of bad seals and programming? I would say at this point it is a complete unknown as to whether the standard OR DCTs will handle more horse power. BTW doesnt Lamborghini use a dual clutch system as well for their "auto tranny"?

Next Gen Gallardo get dual clutch - Lamborghini Forum
I'm pretty sure there are numbers out there from Getrag that show their rated limit for the DCT is around 185 ft/lb... But that could be very conservative or not, I don't think we know yet... There are a few highly tuned NA cars using it past 185 lb/ft, but not by much... I could be wrong, this is just from I've gathered here following various threads over the last year.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'm not entirely sure anyone has got near 185 lb/ft. 185 whp, yes but not TQ.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That rating is also most likely for the clutch assembly, and not the transmission itself. If we could get companies to start making upgraded clutches for DCTs then more power will probably be a viable option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts