Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's the scoop on my car....been out for a while because of money issues ect ect....blah....but it was one thing after the next....first it was a cracked mani....got that fixed, but then directly after that my t3super60 just outta nowhere took a dump on me...

now a buddy of mine lent me his t3 t4 50 trim, got everything bolted up, no leaks anywhere....and I still have 0 boost.....i'm assuming that either my WG or turbo is bad.....most likely the turbo, because the wastegate was fine and dandy before hand.....

so what do you all think?

any suggestions...i'll check whatever I need to check, but i'm kinda leaning towards the turbo, but since I don't have another turbo that'll fit to try out, i'm open for anything

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sounds like the wastegate is always open, or the turbo isn't turning.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i second that, your sure the wastegate is in good working order?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the super 60 was bad...I had it checked out by a local shop and I saw it myself, the shaft play was realllllly bad and the exhaust side turbine wheel was chipped away....I would get boost, but then not, and it started making a really bad howling sound....almost s.charger

but the waste gate was in good working order before hand...how would I check to see if the waste gate is bad or not?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm half tempted to take my turbo that my buddy gave me and my waste gate to a shop just so they can check it out, unless there is a way I can check myself....you all know how? I don't want to buy random turbos ya kno lol

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
you would have to make sure the spring is set and not weak, and make sure the valve seals and opens correctly.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you have a boost controller? Ran the Vac lines to mine incorrectly and prevented me from making boost.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is kinda elementary of me to ask this, but I've overlooked this before, so I figure why not: When you hooked up the internal wastegate actuator to the flapper, was it fully shut? If not, that's probably the problem.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
This is kinda elementary of me to ask this, but I've overlooked this before, so I figure why not: When you hooked up the internal wastegate actuator to the flapper, was it fully shut? If not, that's probably the problem.
Yes this is very true. I had to modify my actuator to hold the wg shut.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes this is very true. I had to modify my actuator to hold the wg shut.
Yeah, my problem was that I had to rotate the compressor housing about 180 degrees, make a new bracket, etc. Took me a few tries to finally get the wg connected up correctly, haha.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not only should it be fully shut, but slightly preloaded.
I also had to rotate my compressor housing and modify the wg backet slightly.
In my case, the rod should not just set in the hold, but you should have to pull the rod 1/8" to make sure it's preloaded.
In order to accomplish this correctly I made my wg rod adjustable.
Appx 1/4" preload jumps the boost from 9.5psi to 11psi, so you can see why I made mine adjustable.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ah, shit lol. That would change things a bit. Sorry, but I'm a total newb to external wastegates, won't be of much help.

·
Registered
789 Posts
now that you have stated that you have an external, one of two things could be wrong that i can think of.

1) your spring took a $h!t and isn't staying closed.

2) you have a massive exaust leak somewhere before the turbo that isn't allowing it to spool.

if i were you, i would take the manifold off and redo the gasket, put it back on and tq all the bolts down to 5 ft/lbs more than factory spec. should be ok unless the bolts are rusty and in that case i suggest new bolts. next, do the same thing to the gate, and while you have it off, test the spring out. is the spring squishy or is it firm enough to give you a good amount of resistance. change the gasket, additionally apply a slight but even film of high temp gasket maker to the gasket, and reinstall the gate and tighten down to 5 ft/lbs more than recommended. do the same with the turbo/flange. if that doesn't work, i bet your bearing in your turbo is fried.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Take your finger and see if the turbo will spin (with car NOT running)

Check your BOV to make sure it isnt open.... I've seen this a few times as well

Check the WG to make sure you have the vacuum line in the correct spot.

Check the piping between the turbo and the throttle body... a very small leak can cause the exact same effects that your are seeing now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^ i didn't even think about a boost leak(doh, slaps head). it would have to be a pretty big one, though, to not build any boost at all. a boost leak that big would have to come from either the BOV or a blown out coupler.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the waste gate today....seems to be in good working order...spring goes forward when pushed hard enough with my hand and snaps back just as fast....

i'm not leaking in any of my couplers or cold/hot pipes that I know about...and I bog down.....sound like turbo to you?

as soon as I get to around 3.5 4k where big boost comes into play usually it just falls flat on it's face...

also, bov is good working order also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts