Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. I have boost creep real bad because my wastegate flapper won't open all the way. The PCV system or whatever is in the way. Would it be okay to just cut away a section--leaving a gaping hole--in order to allow the wastegate to open fully? If this won't harm anything, I'd love to do this as I don't feel like going through all the work and busted knuckles of removing the manifold and setting up some sort of catch can setup.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
You are suppose to have that venting to atmosphere, so yes cut it and modify it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are suppose to have that venting to atmosphere, so yes cut it and modify it.
So it's okay to have a big gaping hole in the bottom of the pcv whathaveyou?

·
FF Affiliate
30,933 Posts
Sure is if you want tons of oil coming out of where your new hole is DONT DO IT , This controles oil as the crank rotates and you have psi this creates psi in the crank case as the crank rotates it throws oil everywhere and a lot goes out into this PCV system but can drain right back into the engine by design if you look at one

If you put a hole in it you will have a ton of oil everywhere , cut off the part that is hitting and weld a cover over it then replace it , if the wastegate is hitting it , it will all have to come off to be fixed anyway

Tom

·
Registered
784 Posts
this may be a dumb idea but could you rout the PCV to the valve cover breather to recycle the oil?

·
Registered
789 Posts
you could always just go to an external wastegate and call it a day. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could always just go to an external wastegate and call it a day. just a suggestion.
Thought about it, but you don't really understand the circumstances here (and I never expected you to.) I'm poor as shit. It took me all summer to get done what I have done, and to switch out manifolds and go to an external wastegate setup would be so much more work than simply running a catch can by means of a crankcase adapter plate thing. I already got the whole internal wastegate thing sorted out btw, so I guess this thread is irrelevant now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
you shouldn't have to switch manifolds or anything. just get the external wastegate of your choice, a flange to mount it on that you can weld to your existing manifold, weld the flange and install the external. only other thing you would have to do is take the turbo off to weld the flapper shut. put the turbo back on an you are done. you can get externals for around 200 and the flanges for them for ~20.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you shouldn't have to switch manifolds or anything. just get the external wastegate of your choice, a flange to mount it on that you can weld to your existing manifold, weld the flange and install the external. only other thing you would have to do is take the turbo off to weld the flapper shut. put the turbo back on an you are done. you can get externals for around 200 and the flanges for them for ~20.
Still too expensive and too much hassle and too expensive considering all I have to do now is make a catch can setup using stuff I already have. It's a great suggestion, just not what I want to do/can afford to do at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts