Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum here and recently purchased a 2016 focus 1.0 in august, currently at 10,000 miles. So far only mod is deleting the intake snorkel and switched to a green air filter.

anyways I'm going to be ordering one of the following 2 boost controllers for in the next 3 weeks. just wondering if anyone has had experience with either?

Flowmaster Delta Boost Controller part# 18102

Runs about $240.00 and supposedly can gain up to 4psi when selecting the max setting on the bluetooth app

second option is the JMS Boostmax for 1.0 part# BX600010

runs about $310.00 and claims to have max gain of 5 psi. Seems a little more involved as far as installation and has a manual knob to adjust the controller. Also heard JMS and SCT are sister companies.

Main concern would be is this safe for a stock intake,intercooler etc and will there be noticeable increase in HP?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't remember seeing a snorkel when I was looking around to take it out...

My unqualified recommendation would be to get the Flowmaster part based on my own research. It's less involved in installation and easier to conceal from people you don't want seeing it. The JMS part would be with it if you want the convenience of an on-the-fly adjustment.

If you aren't having the modules push more PSI than stock all the time, then the stock parts might not be out of their capability range. Since the 1.0L is so new in the States and performance parts lacking, there will a bit of experimentation on the early-adopters to see what these engines and individual components can take.

You would have to describe what your butt dyno says and/or spend time on a dyno to get the differences between stock and either of the mentioned boost controllers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum here and recently purchased a 2016 focus 1.0 in august, currently at 10,000 miles. So far only mod is deleting the intake snorkel and switched to a green air filter.

anyways I'm going to be ordering one of the following 2 boost controllers for in the next 3 weeks. just wondering if anyone has had experience with either?

Flowmaster Delta Boost Controller part# 18102

Runs about $240.00 and supposedly can gain up to 4psi when selecting the max setting on the bluetooth app

second option is the JMS Boostmax for 1.0 part# BX600010

runs about $310.00 and claims to have max gain of 5 psi. Seems a little more involved as far as installation and has a manual knob to adjust the controller. Also heard JMS and SCT are sister companies.

Main concern would be is this safe for a stock intake,intercooler etc and will there be noticeable increase in HP?
I just found this Boostmax controller last night actually. It's not really a boost controller. It intercepts the throttle, MAP, and IAT signals and then modifies them to trick the ECM to fueling and boosting higher. It looks promising as the Fusion 2.0L got a gain of 25hp at peak but 66hp higher at lower RPMs. The 3.5L f150 saw something like 88hp. Those numbers aren't from their website but from youtube reviews of the product.

The website however states that the 1.0L will see 15+HP gain and 2+mpg better with an additional 5psi of boost. I would hope that 5psi gain is in the midrange rpms as the 1.0L turbo is really being stretched in it efficiency range with this engine. Going from 2.24-2.58:1 pressure ratio on this compressor is a significant upswing. I really want to try it out but I am also in the high altitude so it'd push me up to 2.88:1 PR driving around town. I'd be inclined to turn that thing down when heading into the mountains.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just know that I have recently seen my car boost stock up to 19psi during overboost in 1st-5th gear and up to 22 psi in sixth gear during over boost. Normal max boost seems to be around 15 psi. So if you trick the system and do not disable over boost you will be boosting 23-24psi in 1st-5th and up to 27 psi in sixth. 23-24 is not bad at all as its only 2 psi higher than what the car already does during over boost in 6th gear, but 27psi during 6th gear would be funny. Doubt the internal bov and waste gate can go that high, I doubt it but never know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just know that I have recently seen my car boost stock up to 19psi during overboost in 1st-5th gear and up to 22 psi in sixth gear during over boost. Normal max boost seems to be around 15 psi. So if you trick the system and do not disable over boost you will be boosting 23-24psi in 1st-5th and up to 27 psi in sixth. 23-24 is not bad at all as its only 2 psi higher than what the car already does during over boost in 6th gear, but 27psi during 6th gear would be funny. Doubt the internal bov and waste gate can go that high, I doubt it but never know.
Any decent wastegate or really any pilot operated relief valve can double the set pressure by boost control. The recirc on the other hand I am not sure of. I have looked into the stock units on the 1, 1.6 and 2Ls. They don't look like much of anything but a diaphragm and a spring. If the stock unit is designed for 23psi overboost I would assume Borg Warner wouldn't put the upper limit so close to operating pressure.

To be perfectly honest the compressor maps I have seen for this turbo is where I'd be concerned about this setup. Like I stated in my previous post we're already looking at a 2.5:1 pressure ratio at sea level on stock boost levels. 27psi pushes it up to 2.86:1. I know I would need a switch as up at my elevation I will be sitting at 3.64:1 at 27psi which would definitely surge this little baby compressor.

But even above 2.5:1 the additional power becomes hard to produce because the efficiency is dropping off so much. There is a reason Ford put the KP39 on their 1.0L Formula Ford instead of the stock turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you also tried adjusting the wastegate? Its free, and will give you 3-4 more psi and hold boost a lot longer before drop off above 4,500 rpm's. I did this to my FoST and it became a different car (and a lot faster car gaining 1.5 mph trap speed thru 1/4 mile). I am running an E30 tune, but you can do it if your stock and untuned...you'll get the same results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing you should know about the Flowmaster Delta Boost Module #18102 and ect. Its bluetooth software is only comparable to android/ Samsung galaxy s5 and below or any other older android devices. If you happen to have a new phone, bluetooth simply wont connect to the module. Thus the only mode available would be default setting which is only +3psi in boost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you also tried adjusting the wastegate? Its free, and will give you 3-4 more psi and hold boost a lot longer before drop off above 4,500 rpm's. I did this to my FoST and it became a different car (and a lot faster car gaining 1.5 mph trap speed thru 1/4 mile). I am running an E30 tune, but you can do it if your stock and untuned...you'll get the same results.

How do you adjust the factory wastegate actuator looked around on YouTube and on on google but haven't found anything specifically for the 1.0l focus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts