Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a history of being a little happy on the gas and a little early on the clutch during all-out acceleration. That said, I did it in my 06 zx3 and there was this huge "boom" that sounded like it came from under the hood. It does this every time. Anyone else experiance this. And please, no comments on my shifting, I know, it needs work, used to a saturn, just got this thing. Anyway, could this be the motor mounts completely collapsing? It doesn't sound like wheel chirp. Wheel hop? All I can say is it's reall loud, and I had some people listen to it and they agreed that it was alarmingly loud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you suggest I tell the ford mechanic? "When I give 'er hell there's a big boom!" ? I suppose that would work, I think I'll try waiting until after the break-in period, or at least until I've passed 1000 miles. That's what's most troubling to me, I wasn't even winding it up, just a little and shifting fast. I don't know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, everything else seems fine from what I can tell. I've tried moving the engine when its off with my hands and it seems tight. Goes great until I pull one of those, and I noticed that I caught one halfway into a boom the other day and saved it. And some are a lot louder than others, obviously with how much gas I'm giving it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To tell you the truth the best I can describe the sound is like someone hitting firewall from the front of the car with a maul.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Its your rear motor mount... get a new one and it will tighten it up, its just the flex when your shifting into second or if you dump the clutch in first... been there done taht havent broken it its just a very loud thud...

Exactly like you said sounds like it right on the other side of the firewall infront of the radio. I am not 100% sure but when I heard it, it to scared the living piss out of me I drove like a [:)][:)][:)][:)] the next few weeks until someone on here said all it was is the flex and that it wasent broken. One of these days looking to invest in the rear motor mount to get ride of that.

·
Registered
930 Posts
or you can get the inserts for it too. Just need a vise and a rubber mallet to get the old bushings out and get teh new bushings in. The fun part is just installing/uninstalling.

EDIT: less than $20 from various sponsors.

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol happens to me i give it perogies and get a loud boom if i go over bump in first 10-15ft i think its wicked wheel hop. thats my two cents

·
Registered
409 Posts
TSnedSi said:
i had someone tell me it was the u-joint making that noise when shifting hard.
[hah] ...in a rear wheel drive vehicle, sure.

·
Registered
450 Posts
how hard is it to install an upgraded motor mount?

one more thing, while im at it should i replace both the rear engine mount and the drivers side.. or is the rear one the main source of the clunk?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Rear is the main problem. It is the part that takes the most of the engine twisting, as it twists on the axis that mount supports.

It isn't THAT hard, but I would suggest a lift if possibe. We did mine with a jack and jack stands and the hardest part was just getting an aluminum bracket out of the way so the mount would come out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the mount are a pain to install with out osme knolage of what ya have to do , there not a grab ahole of it an pull it out job , the bang you describe , im goin to guess it sounded like a bomb shell coming through on the pass side floor near the middle right? yes? soft motor mount when mine did that i looked at it real close an it looked as if it was hitting on the back side of the mount , long story short i changed my rear mount (from New edge performance) an never had it since , dont be alarmed thow if you happen to see the size diff between the two mounts LOL it is the right one just about 7lbs lighter. untill the new mount has settled in there will be some mild wheel hop under hard accel from a dig .

NETDRAGON - didnt know you were supposed to move the braket LOL i preyed up on my engine (same floor stand method) an set that preybar on a block of wood to hold it. an preyed my mount out (after 6 or 7 cussin fits)

IN A NUT SHELL= if your goin to change your mount pay a mechanic at a local shop to do it , its alot more BS to swap them than it looks ..... as most if not all of us have found with removing out stock intake assemblies

Happy modding

-Adam

·
Registered
450 Posts
i have an engine hoist so im sure that would help some.. [8D] is it just a pain to get to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts