Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a month ago I installed my audio boom trunk I got lot of rattles and it is getting a bit loose. I heard about Dynamat but will it help to have bolts on the trunk tight?

I was thinking of using special glue on bolts to get them tight enough. What do you think?

Sure most of you have dealt with this problem without using Dynamat.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Probably the best thing to do is take apart all inside panels from around the trunk and hatch area. Make sure every clip and bolt is nice and tight. You might want to use some low strength loctite when you're putting it back together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not trying to be an arse but, some of us seem to forget we're not on a benz, bimmer, caddy, etc. board. Our cars are not very quiet in stock audio form anyway. I will say from personal experience it takes every bit of two dynamat bulk packs, 4 cans of expansion foam, and deflex pads to make our cars even remotely quiet/rattle free. Even with all of that in my ride i still have annoying rattles at high volume. My best advice is spend some money on some sound dampening and there are better (and cheaper) alternatives to dynamat such as edead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much sound dampening material (sq/ft) do I need to isolate the hole trunk?

steviedon said:
I'm not trying to be an arse but, some of us seem to forget we're not on a benz, bimmer, caddy, etc. board. Our cars are not very quiet in stock audio form anyway. I will say from personal experience it takes every bit of two dynamat bulk packs, 4 cans of expansion foam, and deflex pads to make our cars even remotely quiet/rattle free. Even with all of that in my ride i still have annoying rattles at high volume. My best advice is spend some money on some sound dampening and there are better (and cheaper) alternatives to dynamat such as edead.

·
Registered
621 Posts
the single biggest culprit for trunk rattles is the set of clips used for the license plate screws, and yeah...expect to pay about a grand in dampening materials just to get tolerable results at high volumes. =\

·
Registered
621 Posts
they guy I know that spent a grand used dynamat, and he did the entire vehicle...enntiiiire vehicle.
*shrug* not anyone i know personally, just a tech at best buy i was yakkin at during my install

1 - 8 of 8 Posts