Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a hard time unscrewing any of the bolts when trying to change my alternator. The three 15mm bolts of the engine mount won't budge. The two bolts of the alternator won't budge and the driving belt tensioner bolt won't budge...[bigcry]

Just want to make sure the unscrewing directions first so that I am not applying a wrong force. Are they all anti-clockwise to loosen? Same as the tensioner, anti-clockwise to release?

Should I torch them to make it easier?

Thanks

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Heat, leverage and proper fitting tools are your friend. Don't try adding more torque if the tool you are using doesn't fit well, all you will do is round the head.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Penetrating lubricant helps, whatever you damn Aussies use. And more leverage, use a ratchet with a longer handle or a cheater pipe to extend your leverage. Make sure the socket fits snug, buy a six point socket if you have to cause if it slips even once your job will be infinitely harder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, damn Aussies. I live in Sydney but I am no Aussie nor Kiwi.
Yeah I believe I need better tools.
Anyway, what about the direction? All anti-clockwise?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
LOL, damn Aussies. I live in Sydney but I am no Aussie nor Kiwi.
Yeah I believe I need better tools.
Anyway, what about the direction? All anti-clockwise?
I didn't know kangaroos drove Focus cars? [bigcry]

Must be you are an Original Aussie. Descended from the folks who were there WAY before those brit's showed up? (or Asian?)
Or, you are just a smart kangaroo.. [cheers]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just in case...

"""""Are they all anti-clockwise to loosen? """"""

That is correct IF you are looking directly on the bolts

IF you are looking at the bolts from behind then it is CW to loosen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys in this forum are full of humour [thumb]
I thought the same that things are the other way round in the other half of the earth [joke]

·
Registered
872 Posts
Do not assume that every bolt on every car has RH threads......there can be exceptions. Some cars have used LH threads on bolts/studs/nuts that retained certain rotating parts as an extra level of safety whereby the "in the normal direction of rotation" of the part tended to "tighten" the attaching bolts or nuts. This is in addition to a specified torque. I remember accidently finding out that a friends '96 Taurus Duratec V6 had an extension shaft (with a bracket and bearing) driving the main accessory drive belt pulley attached with a bolt that had LH threads.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
^^^^ This is true, however the alternator bracket bolts are not going to be LH threads. 3.0 Vulcan fan clutches on RWD vehicles had LHD threads- with a warning stamped on the fan shroud. There should be warnings or notations in manuals whenever LH threads are used. Now if it was an old Chrysler car you were trying to remove the driver's side wheels from then you'd have to look at the center of the stud to note the LH mark.

As was mentioned earlier on- leverage, and properly fitting tools. I use a larger box end wrench on the end of my ratchet for leverage- but you can't do that on anything except round handled ratchets. If you have to use an extension on a ratchet, make sure that the center lines of the bolt and extension stay lined up while trying to turn it. Otherwise you might put yourself in a bind requiring more torque to make the same movement- or round off a bolt head. The best penetrating lubes we have here are Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and Aero-Kroil. I don't know what's available down there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts