Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 focus SES 2 door hatchback. I've been struggling to find info on what size bolts hold in each ground wire to the body through the vehicle and where each ground can be found. Some ground bolts are rusted to the point I need to use special tools to remove old bolt, hopefully the bolt extractor works. However I may not get the bolt out and end up having to tap it out.

Incase I'm unclear I need the bolts that hold ground wires from each electrical line to the body of vehicle and where to find them.

So instead of disconnecting the grounds with no new bolts to reconnect them I figured I'd find out what sizes of bolts I need and each ground location through the vehicle.

My aim is to resolve our very dim headlights and I'm guessing the rusted and corrosion on the ground wires and bolts may be the cause since new bulbs was not the fix. If it's not the fix my car still will run better with clean grounds and solid contact.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jackdsnuts You may find it money well spent to get the official service manuals for your car.

Wiring Diagrams

Mechanical
Thank you, those links did not work though. Yeah I'd love one of those if it comes specifically for my exact model. I recently found out for discontinued nearly all my parts. I had to buy a replacement rear wiper moter and every parts store was suggesting the moter for "hatchback" well, it's an original hatchback door and fixtures do should have fit.. wrong only thing that fits is the 2007 focus ses sedan and it's rotating shaft is almost half an inch longer. So yeah exact info would be amazing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
@Jackdsnuts Sorry man!! I tried linking to active eBay links. Search eBay for <2007 Ford Focus Service Manual>.

For $50-$75 you’ll be set up to answer all of your ‘part number’, ‘torque specs’, “where is it at” type of questions.

Youtube is also very helpful on how to get through jobs you’re unsure of.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
@Jackdsnuts Sorry man!! I tried linking to active eBay links. Search eBay for <2007 Ford Focus Service Manual>.

For $50-$75 you’ll be set up to answer all of your ‘part number’, ‘torque specs’, “where is it at” type of questions.

Youtube is also very helpful on how to get through jobs you’re unsure of.
Ford service manuals give part core numbers only (if that) - not part numbers. And typically no fastener numbers.

Paul

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ford service manuals give part core numbers only (if that) - not part numbers. And typically no fastener numbers.

Paul
@Paul1958 The Ford Service Manual’s (FSM) I own refer to a part’s unique identifier as “Part Number”. Ford does not provide a fully complete number in the FSM - maybe that’s why you’re referring to it as a “core number”??

I’ve never seen a unique part identifier referred to as a “core number” in either of the two FSM’s I own (2007 Focus & 2007 Explorer).

Nevertheless, I’ve never had a problem using the “Part Number” provided in the FSM to find the Motorcraft part I need after spending a few seconds of Google searching.

Many “Part Numbers” are included for fasteners in the FSM. Not all fastener’s part numbers are included but many are included.

Anyway, I’ve experienced low four figures in cost avoidance, along with simplified part searches, since owning these two FSM’s.

My point is they are well worth $50-$100 for someone planning to do their own repairs on Mk1/1.5 Focus.

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
If you are broke but live in the big city the local library may well have a whole series of year models service manuals. I use the Dallas library occasionally when I need deep tech or electrical. You can also copy pages out of them there too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried out the Haynes service and repair manual for 2000-2011 focus. After I bought it I could look at where I needed to look for wiring diagrams and ground location it says "since there are many years and variations we cover we only show most common setups". So I'm returning that asap. Someone told me to call our local ford dealership so I did and they couldn't even locate info on what size bolts hold the ground wire fasteners to frame in the cars Ford Service Manual’s. They do repair and replace them so I was told to call one of their pro's Monday because they might be able to narrow down bolt diameter and tread type. I'm asking Ford Monday if I'm able to order a FSM for my exact model right through them.

I also heard there is a special type of bolt that expands as it is tightened. I have less than 5 days to fix the wiring before I have to take it in for a state inspection. So locate a replacement bolts which appears to be two different sizes for head diameter or reroute the two grounds somehow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just headlights are dim and do not increase in brightness in any state the car is in.. maybe a small amount dimmer turned off i haven't tested that.

The right headlight is the farther down the wire because the battery is on the left side.

All I do know is the grounds I are rusted all over and the is corrosion where wire attached to the grounding plate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Goodluck does not sound reassuring. If does not improve lights then I have quite a check list to go through with quite costly stuff on it. I'm praying its the grounds or corrosion on pins along the wires to headlight. Those are little to no cost fixes

I will include photos tomorrow when I get rolling on the project then I'll decide if the sheet metal screw is a suitable option.

I think will be best to be prepared to drill new holes and use sheet metal screws since I don't have access to a thread tap or the other side of metal.

Hopefully the pictures will help decide best course of action and successfully improve headlights.

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
You can separate the ground wire away from the rest of the headlight socket wires to cut and simply ground right there close under the headlight on the main frame rail there.

Don't be surprised if regrounding doesn't touch headlight flickering, it often doesn't. Often the charging system is messed up. Get a free alt check at parts store but use a guy who can look up the 'ripple' function in the alt test. If excessive then alt has problems. Or the alt may have severely worn brushes which can do the same thing, flicker lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Replaced headlights, low beam blew, I think the bulbs are 3 years old. New battery, battery was 5 years old car started to struggle to turn over once it got in the 20's. I know what nuts one ground took and the symbols on top match. The ground from negative battery terminal to chassis was rather corroded. Anyone know what I should look up to buy them?
Finger Nail Thumb Engineering Artisan
Finger Skin Nail Thumb Household hardware

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.