Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 zx3 started bogging and bucking the day after driving in our first snow storm here in boise. After driving it for a few days like this, out of lack of time to work on it...it got worse yesterday. It went from randomly bogging and bucking at low rpms or on the highway, to barely drivable due to the low rpm bog. The check engine light finally came on but I haven't checked that out as of yet. 147000 miles. Bought it used. Changed the timing belt and passenger motor mount last November. From what I've read on here it could be a number of things from a dirty MAF to the PCV to the fuel filter or fuel pump. Just looking for further insight before I dive into it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Welcome to FF.

I guess it is possible that if you ran through any snow drifts, you may have pulled a cable off something under the car.

Easiest thing to do is to run by a parts store and have them pull the code that is setting off the CEL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The code showed a misfire on cylinder 3. Just pulled the plug boots off te plugs and the plug ports each had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oily water in them....haven't washed my motor though we did have a torrential down pour a few weeks ago. Other than that I'm not sure how water would get in there. Hopefully cleaning this out and chafing the plugs and wires fixes it.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Water can enter around the plug wires if it gets splashed on top of the engine. It often causes a misfire.

Clean/dry it out. Put a small amount of silicone grease on inside of plug boots (and coil end too) to help prevent this in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dried it out. Changed plugs and wires. Because I'm not sure if they ever have been changed. Anyways. Fixed it. Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts