Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I snapped the dogbone mount on my 2002 ZX3 Zetec for the second time, after doing a really stupid redline clutch dump. I was able to limp it back home about a mile, engine rocking back and forth in the bay the whole way, and replaced the mount last night. This morning, I start it up to drive 10 miles to school, and it made it there and halfway back, until I notice that it's really hard to pull it up a hill, and it stumbles and bogs past about 1/3-1/2 throttle. It seems fine after about 3500-4000rpm, a little lacking on power, but off idle and starting from a stop, especially on a hill, is really difficult. After getting it home I noticed that past about half throttle there's this really loud buzzing noise, almost like a propellor, coming from the vicinity of the airbox housing. I discovered that one of the plastic pegs it sits on was broken off (the one on the far driver's side), and thought that would be creating an air leak, but I tried throwing some duct tape on to seal it and that didn't fix the problem. I originally thought it to be a vacuum issue, but I checked all the vacuum lines visible from the throttle body and nothing seemed loose/broken. All the plug wires are seated down nice and tight, but I have yet to pull them to see if plugs are fouled (going to wait until the engine cools down). Checked coil connector, it's tight. Checked throttle cable, it's tight. Have not yet raised the car up to look at the back of the intake manifold. Have also not done a compression test, because I don't have a gauge that'll fit down in there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Current engine work on the car:
New spark plugs about 4k miles ago
Replaced coilpack with brand-new OEM one about 6k miles ago
Using an aftermarket DNA washable air filter, still in OEM housing, but have not had any problems with it yet
Upper and lower rad hoses, one of the heater bypass hoses, and thermostat housing replaced
IAC valve replaced with brand-new Hitachi valve less than 1k miles ago

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got under the car to change the mount, I didn't see any obvious damage, but I also wasn't looking for any.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also was noticing a somewhat strong unburned exhaust odor inside the car at times when I was driving it home. Don't know if it was coming from my car or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My next thought was intake, possibly the snorkel tube to the bottom of the airbox, but I can't for the life of me figure out what else could be causing the loss of power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also forgot to add, idle seems to hunt a little bit, now; it seems to hang quite a bit on decel, and when turning on accessories, the idle drops down really low and struggles to come back up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is also check your flex pipe to see if it was crushed along with the rest of the exhaust piping under engine and in that vicinity. Vacuum lines are a possibility as well. Don't dump it like that anymore, get a mustang if you want to do that. FF aren't really meant to do that. Could easily cause tranny failure. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts