Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had what sounds like a bird chirping behind my drivers side seat for years now. I ran my car on Eibach sportlines for about 8 years, so I figured it came from that. I have brand new Monroe suspension all around, so it’s not my shocks or struts. It sounds like my frame is squeaking against itself somehow, and the sound is only there when its cold…

Has anyone else had this problem or is this just a random thing that happened to my focus due to a really rough ride for so long?

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
If RIGHT behind the seat, they commonly crack the cross over tube that ties the bottom of the sides of the back together, it's under the seat cover. That tube cracks in 500 different ways since the seat only anchors firmly on one side not both, the pass side of driver side simply held up loose in the air by a support plate and does not fasten down solid. Seat back therefore rotates on one side only as you repeatedly get into car and load your back against first one side and then the other, it eventually breaks the tube weld as well as several places on the upper seat back. Almost every one you find in the junkyard will be broken the same way. I could easily see weight moving the cracked part to abrade and make noise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check under the car and look where the emergency brake cable is supported by a metal ring. The outer rubber jacket on the cable wears off and there is a metal to metal contact point which caused the squeak. I had to zip tie the cable to the ring and my squeak is gone.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
X2, if the noise is further back, common on these to do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts