Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZTW with 52k that has had engine , exhaust, and suspension upgrades. Bought a Bodykits front air dam, side skirts, rear bumper lip, and spoiler. I had it in a local body shop for installation and yanked it out part way through. They were attaching the parts without doing the fine finishing work and only using the cheap adhesive tape with a couple of fasteners...no body adhesive or seam sealer. So far 4 local shops have turned down the work. Does anyone know of a custom shop in southeast Wisconsin that does quality work on body kit installs?

·
Registered
620 Posts
[popcorn]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I have a 2002 ZTW with 52k that has had engine , exhaust, and suspension upgrades. Bought a Bodykits front air dam, side skirts, rear bumper lip, and spoiler. I had it in a local body shop for installation and yanked it out part way through. They were attaching the parts without doing the fine finishing work and only using the cheap adhesive tape with a couple of fasteners...no body adhesive or seam sealer. So far 4 local shops have turned down the work. Does anyone know of a custom shop in southeast Wisconsin that does quality work on body kit installs?
Wow, Seems like you have a little leg work to do. I'm sure there's a b/s that'll do good work. Make sure to tell them what your looking for. For the skirts depending on which ones they are, double back tape on the upper top surface & a few fasteners on the front & rear(wheel wells) & a few on the bottom surface's. If there is a scoop or something on the outside, you could possibly use a sheet metal screws at top inside of a scoop to attach the skirt to the rocker panel w/ the double back tape. Use a quality double back tape & not the cheap tape that the skirts come with. Aftermarket body kits as well as factory kits are designed not to use body adhesive's. 3M make awesome products= double back tape being one of them. & for sure you don't want a seam sealer on a body kit= not designed for them. Its another thing if you a skim coat of dolphin but look for more prep & paint work. I'd pass on bondo & double back & bolt them on. Hopefully they are a urethane skirts & not 'glass.

·
Registered
620 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts