Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used the BlueDriver OBDII Scan Tool for determining emissions readiness? Or have another relatively low cost scan tool the provides this information.

My '03 Zetec wasn't ready last time I brought in for testing and with it being colder than 38F, I know it will be challenging to get the EVAP monitor to show as ready (need to do the wait 8 hr routine). Also understand that one of the monitors can show as not ready and still pass (in IL).

I have the drive cycle printed off, but looking to make sure that at least all but one of the monitors are ready before bringing it in.

Final question - once they show as ready on the scan tool, they will remain as showing ready as long as I don't turn the key all the way off? In other words, I can shut the engine off (key still at on position), unplug the scan tool, and then have them plug in their scanner, and be good to go?

Here is the link to the BlueDriver that I was considering:
http://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bl...ndroid/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
You should stay in ready state until battery is disconnected unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting then - so I put a couple thousand miles on since battery was last disconnected, but had driven only a short drive to the testing location (did not go through the entire drive cycle whatsoever on that start), they should all still show as ready? (only 1 monitor showed as ready)

If that's true, then I may very well have a problem. Only other thing I can think of is I have a Metromile insurance (pay per mile) tracker that plugs into the OBDII port - could that reset it somehow?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - was able to them to all show as "ready" (except Evap), but then when the car was turned off for the test, they all went back to "not ready".

Looks like this is my problem:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176178

Getting the car reflashed by the dealer on Monday - then trying again.

Also does anyone know what the latest version is - this is what the TSB says: B42.2 and higher? Just looking to question the dealer that they put on the most up to date version.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dealer will be getting the latest version direct from Ford through their computer, so no need to worry about an old version being loaded IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PCM Reflash fixed it! I can now turn off my car, restart it, and the monitors don't reset.

Total cost from dealer was $139 (1 hr of labor). They wanted to charge me more for diagnosing, etc., but I had printed out the TSB 06-7-5:
http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/OBD-CH/documents/newdocuments/ford/tsb06-07-05.pdf
And told them that was all I wanted done and to be charged for (no diagnosing, etc.).

Also, that BueDriver scanner was a big help! First it helped me identify what was happening with the monitors resetting. Then on my drive home, I knew right when they had all been set to "ready" and was able to pull into a testing facility on my way home and pass.

I also swear that the car is idling smoother too from the PCM reflash. Seemed to have a slight bit of roughness before and I had been planning try new sparkplugs and wires, but that is all gone now.

As always, thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody used the BlueDriver OBDII Scan Tool for determining emissions readiness? Or have another relatively low cost scan tool the provides this information.

My '03 Zetec wasn't ready last time I brought in for testing and with it being colder than 38F, I know it will be challenging to get the EVAP monitor to show as ready (need to do the wait 8 hr routine). Also understand that one of the monitors can show as not ready and still pass (in IL).

I have the drive cycle printed off, but looking to make sure that at least all but one of the monitors are ready before bringing it in.

Final question - once they show as ready on the scan tool, they will remain as showing ready as long as I don't turn the key all the way off? In other words, I can shut the engine off (key still at on position), unplug the scan tool, and then have them plug in their scanner, and be good to go?

Here is the link to the BlueDriver that I was considering:
http://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone®-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bluedriver scanners are CRAP. a blind person could get more information about his car by watching blinking codes on the dash. I bought one 3 years ago(only because i thought it would work with my android car stereos native ODB2 software. it does not) it has not once preformed a task ive asked out of it. It will NOT show monitors active or static, it will NOT turn off check engine light for more than a few minutes it... take my word on it was the WORST 100 bucks ive ever spent and ive pissed away money on alot of stupid crap

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe your Bluedriver is defective? I've used mine with the Bluedriver phone app with several cars and it gave more data than my $150 wired OBD scanner. Blue Driver worked well for me but I found that the feature that proposes remedies to certain codes needs some work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts