Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after several years of letting my focus sit I'm finally getting around to rebuilding it.

When I turbo'd the stock motor I was able to get around 270hp to the wheels on 10psi. Now I want to just get an additional 30 to bump it to a nice even 300hp.

I knew I would need a new set of pistons so I got a set of Supertech pistons a little while after it happened. I went with P4-FZ85-N9 since they would lower the compression to around 9.5:1 and I got them for a decent price.

The auto shop at school is going to rebuild the engine for me and started on it yesterday. When they got the head off I got to see the damage that was done to the number 1 & 3 piston and cylinder wall. Both pistons had about 1" melted from them and the 1st cylinder wall had the most damage. It has a pretty good mark in it. I'm hoping that when I get the cylinders bored for the slightly larger pistons (stock bore is 84.8 and the pistons are 85) it will take care of the damage but if it doesn't what are my options outside of a new block.

When it comes to a rebuild kit what should I be getting? I know I need a gasket kit, crank bearings, rod bearings, maybe a set of arp studs and a new head gasket (was thinking of going with a little thicker gasket to help lower compression even more). Aside from that I'm not sure. I'd also like specific recommendations you guys have that have done it before. Brands and part numbers would be great as well as where to get them.

I want the engine to essentially be over built. I want to not have to worry about it too much when I take it on a drive whether it is down the street, around town or across the country.

Any help is appreciated,And here are some pictures.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
so you'r saying the supertech pistons won't work?
The SVT rod is slightly longer then the Zetec/Eagle rod , if you use the off the shelf supertech pistons your piston will be much higher in the block , in most cases come out of the block/deck . You can do a Custom piston for the SVT rod but by the time you do that your at the cost of Eagle rods

Get you a set of eagle rods and make your life easier

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
The svt has forged rods so couldnt you get forged pistons for them and it be able to handle that power with ease?
The stock SVT rod will get you to maybe 400hp , you can use the SVT rod with Forged pistons IF you order a custom set of Forged Pistons and have the proper compression distance done , Off the shelf Zetec pistons wont work with out issues with deck height

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Get the kids to measure up that block, I doubt a first oversize at .2mm will clean up that ding.

P.S. - once it's done, you might want to get Tom to do the tuning - whatever the cause that thing got HOT.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Which pistons are you recommending Tom?
I have tried them all and havent found a bad one , look around and find the best price and go with that , C-F-M most times has competitive prices on forged pistons

Tom

·
Registered
159 Posts
Will def be following this! get my SVT down here to be on base in NC next weekend it sat while i was away at bootcamp and training. Do you have pics of what your exhaust ports on block looked like? IDK if the wet oil is because of bad seals in valve train or bad pistons rings. Look forward to seeing more on your build!

Jake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts