Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a full JL audio system in my car and i bought the 5year extended warrenty and the rear speakers blew. Well when I took it back to the place they asked me if it sounded like they were farting out and I told them yes but I also told them that for some stupid annoying reason on occasion they would play OK. After like 40 Minutes of waiting they procede to tell me that the amp was just out of adjustment and I left and they sounded really really good. But then 5 Miles down the road they started to crackle and fart out as they would say. So I took it back never changed the song or turned the radio up or down cause I wanted it to keep doing that so they could hear and I took it to the back of the store and the one dude said ok just go park it and they will get to it in like 20 minutes. Well, an hour later they come in and tell me that i'm crazy and that they are perfectly fine. I am pissed now cause I bought the extended warrenty on everything which costed like 200 dollars extra and now they aren't replacing them. I am thinking of suing them but i kinda don't wan to do that again cause I just got done suing a body shop for crappy work they did. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like a fried voice coil. When the voice coil is lined up and perfect, it'll play, but when it gets messed up, it won't play.

A few easy tests:

-GENTLY push on the come with 5 fingers, do you feel a scrapping?
-Get a multimeter and check the resistance of the voice coils. If they are 4 ohm voice coils, it should read somewhere around 3.6-4 ohms. If it read higher or lower, it is blown.

What exactly does the warranty cover? If they are being pricks about it, take out of the enclosure, and stick the speaker wire in an electrical socket. It will fry the subwoofer. Stick it back in the enclosure and return it. Unless the warranty doesn't cover misuse, then don't do that (but it is fun to watch a subwoofer hooked up to a DC outlet :) ).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I assume the warranty includes them taking it out and reinstalling another one.
That's why they are being pricks, they're lazy.

If it craps out, then it's bad.

Can you isolate which speaker it is by using the fader and balance control?
If it's only one speaker, then it's not the amp out of adjustment.
If it's both speakers, then it makes me think it's something else.

But if it's only one speaker, they need to replace it.
Talk directly to the store manager or owner.

Where in CA are you, and where did you get the system?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the rear speakers not the subs and its both back ones but more the right rear than the other

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Does it happen more on heavy bass?

Only when loud, or at mid volume as well?

What model of speakers are they, and what model of amp is driving them?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok no it does not happen on heavy bass

when loud and mid volumes they krackle and everything low vulumes they dont even work

they are Alpine type S and the amp is JL audio e6450 or something its BIG!!LOL

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If you just sit at home and listen to the system, does it eventually happen?

Or, does it only happen when you are driving around?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know I just tryed that I listened to the radio for like 30 mins at home anf nothing happened but when I am driving and the radio is all the way turned down and I take off at the light there is like a continuous sqeeling noise and it gets louder as the car revs up higher. and yes it happens when I am on the road.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Crackle and fart are different than the whine.
Even though wine can cause farts. [:D]

Those are different things.

Do the speakers cutout, or are you just getting a whine?

The whine has to do with grounding as DB stated.

The crackle and fart can be anywhere in the sytem, which is why I asked one speaker or two. But now we need to get specific on what's happening.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ready for a long peply[:D]

ok the crakle and farting out happens all the time more in the right rear speaker. it doesn't matter if I turn the bass all the way up or all the way down it still happens low mid or high volumes. But like I also said sometimes on a very rare ocassion it will play perfectly clear and fine.and sometimes they don't even work at all. Both speakers are doing it but it happens more consistantly with the right rear and it seems to be more apparent with the right rear too.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
No, it's not bad as long as the ohm loads are good, which I'm sure they are.

Since it's both speakers, I'm leaning more towards wiring, or the actual head unit outputs.

Swap the RCA connections between the front and rear to see if the same problem occurs, or if it shows up in the front speakers. The red/white RCA on ch1/2, swap with ch3/4.

Did you contact the manager or the owner where you bought the gear?

Has another car audio place listened to and diagnosed the problem?

If you are near me in SoCal, then I might have a chance to check it out for you.
I'm off the 101 fwy and Topanga Cyn.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in San Diego El Cajon to be exact so I don't think we are very close to eachother. No I didnt contact the manager or have taken it to another store for them to look at it but I guess i will go tomorrow and get a new stereo cause I kinda want a new one maybe that will solve the prob and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Before you spend money on a new HU:

1) swap the RCAs between ch1and2 for ch3and4 (front and rear).
This will tell you if it is before the amp, or not.

2) I'm up on a lot of the new HUs, so let me know what you are looking for and what budget you have. More than likely you'll be in the $200 range, which I'd suggest the Pioneer DEH-P770MP for $199 at http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2951

Anything more than that includes better DACs, EQ, crossovers, etc., of which you really don't need for your existing system. The 770 offers a lot of features for the money.

El Cajon, yeah you're down south a few hours. [;)]

Do the RCA swap at the amp and let me know if it changes or stays the same.
Do it while the car and system is off. It's easy to do.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok I will do the swap and about the HU I was looking at the Alpine ????? its blue and has a face that automatically flips down.Please excuse my stupidness on the model of the new HU I want to get cause I am not an expert on stereos sorry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts