Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
IH8URFCE
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting mixed answers on this question so I am going to post it here.

One of my rear KSport coilover shocks blew, and I have yet to hear back from KSport about replacing them. I have to drive from Houston to New Orleans in a week. I still have my FRPP shocks.

My question is: Will the low KSport spring blow the FRPP shock? The spring is still on the perch with the locks all the way down, so it is as low as it will go without taking things off. It is not intended to be a permanent fix, but one that will last about 2,000 miles (2 round trips and in-town driving).

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
There is a change that those shocks will not hold up. 2000 miles, it should be okay. You probably dont hit to many bumps being so low anyway.

·
IH8URFCE
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In town is easier to avoid bumps. I am more worried about highway driving at night, because I have found that bumps on the highway like to sneak up on you.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My question is: Will the low KSport spring blow the FRPP shock? The spring is still on the perch with the locks all the way down, so it is as low as it will go without taking things off. It is not intended to be a permanent fix, but one that will last about 2,000 miles (2 round trips and in-town driving).
The Ksport springs are probably "significantly" shorter than the springs used with a standard shock design (aka FRPP springs etc.). I wonder if the spring could be properly seated on the FRPP shock due to length and internal diameter (they're narrower than standard springs as well). Even if you could get it to somehow stay in the proper position, there's a very good chance that the much shorter spring will cause the shock to bottom out (thus ruining it) or riding on the bump stops all the time. This can easily cause handling issues. I personally wouldn't drive several thousand miles this way especially at highway speeds.

What failed on the K Sport damper?

·
IH8URFCE
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ksport springs are probably "significantly" shorter than the springs used with a standard shock design (aka FRPP springs etc.). I wonder if the spring could be properly seated on the FRPP shock due to length and internal diameter (they're narrower than standard springs as well). Even if you could get it to somehow stay in the proper position, there's a very good chance that the much shorter spring will cause the shock to bottom out (thus ruining it) or riding on the bump stops all the time. This can easily cause handling issues. I personally wouldn't drive several thousand miles this way especially at highway speeds.

What failed on the K Sport damper?
It is the one in the rear, so fitment with the spring isn't an issue. And other than hitting something extremely hard I can't think of why it went out so quickly. But it has been leaking and at this point it is already bouncing a lot and not taking higher speeds very well. So I figure as long as the drop of the spring doesn't cause it to give out, the handling will be substantially better than what it is now.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You could try raising the rear a little to give the FRPP shocks a little more travel. Do you have the rear spring rates for the KSports?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts