Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2013 Ford Focus ST (mk3/ST250) last week one of my pistons broke. (cylinder #1) modifications on the engine were Steeda Symposer Delete and Custom Cold Air Intake Pipe.

Fords have denied my warranty claim, stating that they are putting the failure of the piston down to the Steeda Symposer delete.

Their explanation "the blanking plate has caused excessive pressure and thus higher temperatures and that has caused the piston to break"

I am waiting for the report / email from fords detailing this.

my questions:-

1. How many other members have suffered broken pistons? and have they been repaired under Ford warranty?

2. what modifications if any were fitted to the engine?

3. What explanation were you given for any warranty denial relating to the broken piston/ringlands?

Thanks in advance

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Look up "LSPI" (Low Speed Pre Ignition) in GDI engines, it's entirely separate from your mods. and can happen in any turbo GDI engine.

Quick Google will show it as an issue in anything from your ST to a Veloster.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
NO Engine modifications out side of Fords are covered if you have an engine failure , Most would of put the stock parts back on the engine and then called the wrecker

Tom

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Blaming the failure on the sound symposer is completely ridiculous, the symposer itself doesn't let air out either so your intake manifold pressure is basically exactly the same.

The FoST has had a decent number of failures due to LSPI and some of them have been stock. It's more of an issue with cars that have been modded, but the two mods you've listed would both have zero bearing on that.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
And fwiw, the majority of modded vehicles here in the US have been taken care of, at least from members that frequent forums. There have been a decent number that haven't, but I've seen full bolt-on/tuned cars get the work warrantied. It really comes down to the dealership.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Yea, that dealer is full of it. But sadly it is up to them to make that decision, and you to fight them. Too late now, but in the future return to stock before it goes in.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Hilarious response from a dealer and typical behavior now. Tell them the cold air intake offsets the 'increased heat' they claim broke the piston.............................LOL, the morons won't be smart enough to counter that one.

I've just now tripped over the sound symposer system itself after reading this post and my stomach hurts from all the laughing. Like Ford already doesn't totally crack me up as a company now.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yep, the stock "symposer" isn't open to atmosphere any more than the block off plate is. Basically uses a drum head like diaphragm to transmit sound without allowing any air to move through.

Still, the problem is showing them something "modified" so they can arbitrarily deny a claim. That gives them the opportunity to assume other mods as well.

Hoping the response ISN'T from Ford and you can go to another Dealer as mentioned might actually be the best chance now, though that opens another can of worms if it WAS reported to Ford. I'd continue arguing "no effect" as it's functionally identical to stock with a reduced noise level in the cabin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday after red lining my 2017 ST with 18,000 miles on it like an idiot, the car started sounding like a Subaru and it started building boost very very slow and driving roughly. I took it home and looked at EVERYTHING on the car, nothing was out of the ordinary. Turned it on the next day and it almost stalled! Luckily I work in a shop so I took my car in and did a diag. The cylinder 4 had a compression of 40-45 when it's suppose to be at least 125. Looked in there and there was oil on the piston, my intake box was swimming in oil, my turbo took a shower in black oil and my throttle body has some oil lotion on.... So after all, my cam shaft bearings are all destroyed, my cam shaft is worn and has scuff marks on it, and my valves are apparently seized from so much carbon build up and bent. So at this point i'm turning all my hundreds of mods back to stock so I can take it to the dealer for a warranty motor. What do you guys think? Will they accept it? Or would they see signs of me turning it to stock?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts