Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sitting in my mechanics lot for a few weeks he has finally got around to wrenching on my 2002 SVTF.

Initially i thought the timing belt snapped while driving down the interstate.

That did NOT happen. I am still not sure what happened. I do know the accessory belt snapped on the interstate and i was forced to drive about 10 miles after it snapped before I could stop. When I pulled off and came to a stop the car stalled, died and began emitting white smoke from the engine bay and tail pipe. The gauges never indicated the car was running hot but I did drive a few miles with them inoperable. Uh Oh.

Mechanic started to look into things yesterday. Only have compression on one cylinder. He will be pulling the head off and suspects either burnt or bent valves.

Any one had a similar scenario? Rebuilding the engine seems the most desirable option to me. Anything i need to be aware of? Is it possible that the car simply went into some sort of safe mode after a serious overheat?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the head may be warped due to the heat, if you ran w/o coolant flowing, you could have boiled the coolant out and seriously overheated the engine. as such, you would need a new head. and if you ran 10 miles w/o a serpentine, i'm pretty sure its toast. but it may be cheaper to just buy a used longblock

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
I have to agree , If the Alt light comes on shut off the engine and coast to the side , with the waterpump not turning you will over heat the engine in less then 1 Min

I 10 min cruise you have taken the tension out of the rings ,

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can the warped heads be replaced? Anyone had this repair done and can estimate price? I kind of expect to learn the car is a goner without a new engine. Does it sound like the top end could be rebuilt without having to resort to a new engine?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
A bare used Svt head is usually around $300-500

·
Registered
497 Posts
You should do like the foxbody guys......and put a chevy motor in it. Ecotec boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Ford with a chevy motor is stright fail. Lol just means they went the cheap generic route. Surprised that walmart doesn't sell chevy crate motors yet hahah

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ford with a chevy motor is stright fail. Lol just means they went the cheap generic route. Surprised that walmart doesn't sell chevy crate motors yet hahah
Don't give them any ideas! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to agree , If the Alt light comes on shut off the engine and coast to the side , with the waterpump not turning you will over heat the engine in less then 1 Min

I 10 min cruise you have taken the tension out of the rings ,

Tom
The water temp gauge never moved during the 10 miles or so i drove. Had that gauge simply stopped working after the serp belt snapped? Shouldn't it have registered this type of overheating?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my mechanic thinks that a rebuilt head will do the job. I like the idea of just rebuilding the heads. Anyone had to do this before?

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
The water temp gauge never moved during the 10 miles or so i drove. Had that gauge simply stopped working after the serp belt snapped? Shouldn't it have registered this type of overheating?
Once the water is gone from the engine the gauge will stay in the same location till it fries the engine to the point it wont run

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
They don’t, that guys retarded, I wish they did, I can't even get mine sold for $200, a bare svt head is only worth 150-250
Yeah the one I could get my hands on is complete from valve cover down. cams everything in really nice shape. Havent pulled it off the block yet, but timing belt wasnt snapped and everything looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Final report on the car.

After installing new top end from valve cover down the car is finally back on the road! Thanks to all who gave me good input and advice while it was MIA. Its great to have the car back. Runs like a top.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Final report on the car.

After installing new top end from valve cover down the car is finally back on the road! Thanks to all who gave me good input and advice while it was MIA. Its great to have the car back. Runs like a top.
:) Nice to hear!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts