Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Blew the 2.0 duratec on my 07 sedan mtx driving home from school at about 150k. Haven't done the full post mortem yet but got the death knock from number 4 and the plug electrode is covered in oil. I'll report back once I crack open the valve cover and oil pan and maybe run a compression test, but I'm going off the assumption that it's done either way.

The timing is good though as I have my backup car(94 E320) and I'm going to have time in a couple weeks to do an engine change/swap once finals are over.

Okay, so my question to the community is as this is my winter beater/mileage machine/fun daily driver and I have put quite a bit of recent maintenance into it(shocks/struts, brakes, tie rods, intake manifold, engine mounts, new seat, sound system, control links, e-brake cable, vent selector etc) Would you recommend a 2.3 for long term reliability purposes? Is a 2.5 swap going to be reliable at this point(and pass emissions)?

2.0 with low miles from the junkyard go for 500, 2.3 about 600-700. Haven't really looked at the 2.5.

Would like to make a engine swap thread as I go about it as I imagine this fate is starting to befall similar foci.

Thanks! -Tom

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
For cost, time and simplicity's sake do a 2.0. Give chuck and eddie's a call- they have one listed out of a 07 with 62k for $200. Stock# BC6738 http://www.chuckandeddies.com

Or look on car-part.com to see what else is out there. $500 is way high.

2.5 would be my vote if you dont mind paying for the extra stuff and tune required to do the swap. I am 100% sure you can pass CT emissions with one and reliability shouldnt be a problem at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Did a car-part.com search and I guess I should have just looked at Chuck and Eddies. Spotted a pristine 06 ST in the New Haven yard this weekend(looked like a bad engine). Might go back and grab the instrument cluster and a couple other things if I'm sticking with this 07 for awhile. The 2.5 might be a good summer project and give me time to accumulate parts. I'm interested to see how more 2.5 projects shape up.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
That bad engine I'd say is cause they ran it low on oil. A 23/25 needs a bsd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts