Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running a JRSC for a couple of years, I decided to take the next step...turbo. Everyone said it would happen and it did. I know there are a number of quality turbo fabricators out there but I decided early on to go with Tom. I had had a great experience with Tom as he tuned my JRSC. I knew his turbo kit had been successfully tried and tested over time. And finally, I trusted Tom’s tuning because he was willing to push the envelope but still keep things safe.

I began the build on May 14th. You can follow its progress at:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258140

The build was up and running by August 12th. Here's a pic of the completed build:

Tuning was roughly a 4-week process, primarily because we ran into some problems with my A/F gauge and sensor. We also had some difficulty with a corrupted file. Once we got past those obstacles, though, it all fell together. By September 15th it was fully tuned and broken in.

I am absolutely blown away by the performance of my Focus. This thing kicks down low and up high. Tons of torque and plenty of hp. It spools incredibly quickly and just screams throughout the whole power curve. Right now I’m running 12 psi of boost. I’m awaiting some shims for my Turbonetics Evo wastegate. Once I receive those, I’ll bump it up to 17 psi and hopefully approach 300 hp.

If you’re considering going turbo, definitely talk to Tom. His kit is very affordable, high-quality, and goes together perfectly. Throughout the process, Tom remained VERY accessible, even when his wife got hospitalized. And he’s been great as he’s walked me through some of the follow-up issues. Nicely done Tom!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the total cost?
The kit itself was $1495. It included:

SPA Manifold
2.5 Down pipe with V-Band clamp
Waste gate down pipe going back into the 2.5 down pipe slip style
Piping from Turbo to Intercooler
Intercooler (8 x 31 x 3.5)
Piping from Intercooler to TB
Piping from Turbo to Filter in the inner fender well
Bracket for intake piping

The turbo was $795.

I paid $150 for a wastegate, $100 for a MAFia, and $50 for an eBay BOV.

Plumbing, vacuum hoses, and hardware cost another $100.

I already had everything else.

Tuning was free since Tom considered this an upgrade from my prior JRSC tune. If you need a tune, you'll pay $300 for an SCT device plus the cost of tuning which I think is somewhere around $550.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
can you post a picture of your downpipe from top of the engine bay? want to see the clearance of the downpipe with everything around it

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you post a picture of your downpipe from top of the engine bay? want to see the clearance of the downpipe with everything around it

I did an A/C delete so clearances will be tighter if you have A/C.

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
Hmm 2840 bux if u have a sxt flasher allready. What about a whole lot not just a fit kit and you buy other things seperate

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
There is a lot of room around the down pipe so your not heating up everything around it and with the SPA cast manifold you not heating up everything in the engine bay like a lot of the over sized , over engineered , over prices manifolds on the market these days

Waste gate is easy to get to , no need to change fans , this is a well thought out kit and hard to beat in my opinion

The piping is so well thought out that its even being copied

Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
this makes me want his kit even more, i mean really when all you hear is good news about tom's kit it makes you think if it's too good to be true or what

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Tom even if you dont plan on shooting for over 400hp wouldnt the larger down pipe and resulting better exhaust flow make for more power even on lower boost? Meaning the same car with the same kit running the same amount of boost would make better power with a 3in down pipe vs 2.5in even if its only boosting like 12 psi. Is that reasoning wrong?

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
That is not what I have found no , after about 350-380HP it startes helping yes and keep in mind that most higher HP turbos run the external dump tube from the waste gate which dumps a very large amount of air after spool

Tom

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Tom even if you dont plan on shooting for over 400hp wouldnt the larger down pipe and resulting better exhaust flow make for more power even on lower boost? Meaning the same car with the same kit running the same amount of boost would make better power with a 3in down pipe vs 2.5in even if its only boosting like 12 psi. Is that reasoning wrong?
The logic isnt horribly wrong but a 2.5inch down pipe is only a foot or two worth of the exhaust which those two feet are the hottest and fastest flowing. 3" exhaust after the downpipe is most beneficial. I believe most turbos have 2"-2.5" exits anyway. so you would have a 3" pipe on a 2.5" flange. I know Tom and you know alot more about this then I but Im thinking for a regular build 250-300 3" dp wouldnt be very different from a 2.5"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts