Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are posts on this but my issues go a lot deeper than just replacing the selector switch and hooking up the new cables.

I got the new selector switch and hooked up the cables as you are supposed to do, but it was still stuck blowing only out the top of the dash and a little at your feet.

I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said that the entire box behind the dash needs replaced. I am not sure what it is called exactly, but it is the box that has all the flaps to control where the air goes. I would like to try to purchase the part somewhere else since parts from a Ford dealership are so expensive. They are saying it is going to be $1300 parts+labor and that it is a 6 hour job.

What is this box commonly called so that I can look online for purchasing it cheaper? Here is a pic I stole from another post and modified a little to show what part I am referring to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302320

This.

I have the same issue you do. The busted box eventually destroyed my cable, but our problems sound the same. I keep mine from locking up by never turning it all the way to the right or left. As soon as I get my hands on an air compressor, I'll be trying the suggested method above.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Luck finding that box, pretty much dealer only part. Maybe an a/c parts company like 4 Seasons.

The controls stay much looser if you just don't let them sit. I work mine all the time when I think of it, they used to stick but good but now that's gone. I think in the heat the inner cable melts itself slightly into the plastic outer sheath, not unheard of with 140 degree inside car temps like here in Texas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I am going to go ahead and let Ford replace the box because I need air coming out of the vents that are right in your face, especially to get air/heat to the backseat for my 5 year old son.

Mine is a 2006 and has 150k miles on it so what else should I replace? I'm thinking the blower motor is a good candidate for replacement as well as fitting a cabin filter. This car has never had a cabin filter and when I try to find one that fits it just says N/A for my vehicle. What is involved in installing a cabin filter and which one should I get?

Thanks for your replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts